dynamic subdomain without DNS

Torsten Schmeissel

Hi all,

I want to solve the following issue. I want to deploy an application to
JBoss 4.0.0 on demand. That means, after deploying the web interface of
the just deployed application shall be reachable under a arbitrary
subdomain within an registered domain. For example,

acertaingroup.com <- domain with a valid DNS entry
subdomain.acertaingroup.com <- no valid DNS entry for this

Ok, I dont want to apply for an DNS entry somewhere every time a new web
application under a new subdomain has been deployed to the AS. Is that
feasible to configure JBoss/Tomcat somehow so they will accept requests
from a browser under a just new created subdomain without the need that
this subdomain can be resolved using DNS?

Thanks in advance.

-Torsten.

James Croft

Torsten said:
Ok, I dont want to apply for an DNS entry somewhere every time a new web
application under a new subdomain has been deployed to the AS. Is that
feasible to configure JBoss/Tomcat somehow so they will accept requests
from a browser under a just new created subdomain without the need that
this subdomain can be resolved using DNS?

Without a valid DNS (or hosts file) record to point it in the right
direction a browser wont even make it to the app server to make the HTTP
request.

The easiest way to deal with this is to use a wild card DNS record in
the zone file to avoid having to repeatedly update the zone for each new
subdomain (this assumes that all subdomains will be pointing at the same
A or CNAME record).

Eg.

*.mydomain.com. 14400 IN A 123.123.123.123

Now any host lookups (eg. blah.mydomain.com, foo.mydomain.com) will
resolve to 123.123.123.123

James

Torsten Schmeissel

James said:
Without a valid DNS (or hosts file) record to point it in the right
direction a browser wont even make it to the app server to make the HTTP
request.

The easiest way to deal with this is to use a wild card DNS record in
the zone file to avoid having to repeatedly update the zone for each new
subdomain (this assumes that all subdomains will be pointing at the same
A or CNAME record).

Eg.

*.mydomain.com. 14400 IN A 123.123.123.123

Now any host lookups (eg. blah.mydomain.com, foo.mydomain.com) will
resolve to 123.123.123.123

James

Thanks James, that really did help.