dynamic UI builder from database

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jay, Jul 20, 2010.

  1. Jay

    Jay Guest

    Hello..
    this is more of a design question.
    I need to develop an app that provides UI (CRUD =
    create/review/update/delete) operations for a database table.
    e.g: sample table layout is, (this already exists)
    Name:
    value:
    (Value can be an number/char/datetime etc)
    value_type:number/char/datetime.

    Based on the table values in the table I need to create the UI.
    For e.g: The View operation will show : (these are the values in the table)

    User_limit 30
    user_Message Cannot access
    user_expire_date 10/10/2010

    Now for the Edit/create operation: I need some meta-data information to
    create the appropriate UI controls.
    e.g: If I want to edit user_expire_date, I need to diaply the datetime
    control.
    for user_limit - need to display number values 0-100.
    for user_message: display a simple edit box control. I also need to know the
    character limit.

    Apart from these I might also need, the order of display for the particular
    "name".
    or even group them together..if I have 100 entries..I might use the "group"
    name to filter how much to display.

    where do I store this kind of meta-data information?
    is it appropriate to have an
    1. XML associated with each of these entries.Like this..
    Name:
    value:
    value_type:number/char/datetime.
    mete-data: <min_limit/><max_limit/><group_ID/><display_order/>

    or
    2. Have it in another database table?
    table1:
    -----
    Name:
    value:
    value_type:number/char/datetime.

    Meta_data_table1
    -----------------
    min_limit
    max_limit
    group_ID
    display_order

    Which is one more efficient? more maintainable?

    thanks in advance for your support!
    Jay, Jul 20, 2010

  2. Jay

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    "Jay" <> wrote in message
    > Hello..
    > this is more of a design question.
    > I need to develop an app that provides UI (CRUD =
    > create/review/update/delete) operations for a database table.
    > e.g: sample table layout is, (this already exists)
    > Name:
    > value:
    > (Value can be an number/char/datetime etc)
    > value_type:number/char/datetime.
    >
    > Based on the table values in the table I need to create the UI.
    > For e.g: The View operation will show : (these are the values in the
    > table)
    >
    > User_limit 30
    > user_Message Cannot access
    > user_expire_date 10/10/2010
    >
    > Now for the Edit/create operation: I need some meta-data information to
    > create the appropriate UI controls.
    > e.g: If I want to edit user_expire_date, I need to diaply the datetime
    > control.
    > for user_limit - need to display number values 0-100.
    > for user_message: display a simple edit box control. I also need to know
    > the character limit.
    >
    > Apart from these I might also need, the order of display for the
    > particular "name".
    > or even group them together..if I have 100 entries..I might use the
    > "group" name to filter how much to display.
    >
    > where do I store this kind of meta-data information?
    > is it appropriate to have an
    > 1. XML associated with each of these entries.Like this..
    > Name:
    > value:
    > value_type:number/char/datetime.
    > mete-data: <min_limit/><max_limit/><group_ID/><display_order/>
    >
    > or
    > 2. Have it in another database table?
    > table1:
    > -----
    > Name:
    > value:
    > value_type:number/char/datetime.
    >
    > Meta_data_table1
    > min_limit
    > max_limit
    > group_ID
    > display_order
    >
    > Which is one more efficient? more maintainable?
    >
    > thanks in advance for your support!

    Which is more maintainable and more efficient would be to keep the XML in a
    database table. After all, XML is just string data.
    Mr. Arnold, Jul 21, 2010