Dynamic Web References

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Elan E, Oct 27, 2003.

  1. Elan E

    Elan E Guest

    Hi All,

    We would like to know the steps involved in accessing a web service
    dynamically.

    Presently we are accessing a web service which has been given to us
    for development purposes. We would have to change the reference to
    this web service when we move to the production environment.
    This involves manually adding web references through Visual Studio
    ..NET and then recompiling the project.

    We would like know how to specify the location to the Web Service in a
    ..config or a .resource file and then access the web service. Basically
    we would like to know if there is a way to avoid the recompilation of
    the project.

    Please note that the client which consumes this web service is a COM+
    component.

    Thanx and Rgds,
    Elan
    Elan E, Oct 27, 2003

  2. If you click on the web reference node in the solution explorer after you
    added, and go to the properties grid, look for a property called Url
    Behavior, and change it to dynamic.

    This will add an config file to your project if it does not already have
    one, and allow you to change this when deploying without rebuilding.

    -Ed Smith
    Microsoft VB Team
    --------------------
    >From: (Elan E)
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webservices
    >Subject: Dynamic Web References
    >Date: 26 Oct 2003 23:12:44 -0800

    07:12:44 GMT)

    >Hi All,
    >
    >We would like to know the steps involved in accessing a web service
    >dynamically.
    >
    >Presently we are accessing a web service which has been given to us
    >for development purposes. We would have to change the reference to
    >this web service when we move to the production environment.
    >This involves manually adding web references through Visual Studio
    >.NET and then recompiling the project.
    >
    >We would like know how to specify the location to the Web Service in a
    >.config or a .resource file and then access the web service. Basically
    >we would like to know if there is a way to avoid the recompilation of
    >the project.
    >
    >Please note that the client which consumes this web service is a COM+
    >component.
    >
    >Thanx and Rgds,
    >Elan

    This reply is provided AS IS, without warranty (express or implied).
    Ed Smith[msft], Oct 27, 2003