    I am creating a HTML/ASP.NET website (using Expression Web and VS 2008).

    When would I use a master page over a DWT? When dealing with an ASPX page
    is a mater page better?

    Cirene, May 7, 2008

  2. Cirene

    darrel Guest

    > When would I use a master page over a DWT? When dealing with an ASPX page
    > is a mater page better?

    I'm not familiar with DWT...is that a Frontpage holdover? It might be a bit
    like a Dreamweaver template in that it's an HTML file that has comments that
    lock editing of certain areas via the IDE (in this case, Expression)

    As for masterpages, consider them one specific templating framework that
    happens to be included in the .net framework. They're OK, but limited, and
    can cause issues if your application becomes complex with multiple controls
    that need to communicate info.

    Personally, I don't like how masterpages work in .net, so I just don't use
    them and usually come up with my own templating systems. But they're
    certainly a viable option.

    -Darrel

    darrel, May 7, 2008