Dynamic width/number of colums

Ryan Stewart

I'm trying to figure out if something can be done with CSS or if I'll have
to take care of it server side. This is what I'm trying to accomplish:
1) Multiple columns of equal width
2) Hiding or showing a column causes other columns to resize so that
condition 1 remains met

Column height is irrelevant. That is, I don't care whether all columns are
the same height or not. The following styles and HTML produce exactly the
effect I'm looking for in Mozilla:
div#container { display: table; width: 100%; }
div#container ul { display: table-cell; }

<ul>
<li>List of relevant topics.</li>
<li>List of relevant topics.</li>
<li>List of relevant topics.</li>
</ul>
<ul>
<li>List of relevant topics.</li>
<li>List of relevant topics.</li>
</ul>

With this, I can add and remove ULs at will and everything resizes
dynamically. But IE doesn't support "display: table-<anything>". Has anyone
done something like this before? The page below has a rough sketch of what I
need to do.
http://68.184.229.248:8080/reference/testArea.html