Dynamic width/number of colums

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Ryan Stewart, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. Ryan Stewart

    Ryan Stewart Guest

    I'm trying to figure out if something can be done with CSS or if I'll have
    to take care of it server side. This is what I'm trying to accomplish:
    1) Multiple columns of equal width
    2) Hiding or showing a column causes other columns to resize so that
    condition 1 remains met

    Column height is irrelevant. That is, I don't care whether all columns are
    the same height or not. The following styles and HTML produce exactly the
    effect I'm looking for in Mozilla:
    div#container { display: table; width: 100%; }
    div#container ul { display: table-cell; }

    <ul>
    <li>List of relevant topics.</li>
    <li>List of relevant topics.</li>
    <li>List of relevant topics.</li>
    </ul>
    <ul>
    <li>List of relevant topics.</li>
    <li>List of relevant topics.</li>
    </ul>

    With this, I can add and remove ULs at will and everything resizes
    dynamically. But IE doesn't support "display: table-<anything>". Has anyone
    done something like this before? The page below has a rough sketch of what I
    need to do.
    http://68.184.229.248:8080/reference/testArea.html

    Ryan Stewart, Dec 16, 2004