dynamically allocate array variable type LPWSTR

Samant.Trupti

HI,

I want to dynamically allocate array variable of type LPWSTR.
Code looks like this...

main() {
LPWSTR *wstr;
int count = Foo (wstr);
for (int i = 0; i < count; i++)
//print each element;
}

int Foo(LPWSTR *wstr)
{
int count = 0;
while (!done){
//Here I need to allocate "wstr" one element by one element. How
to do that?
// I don't know the count
count ++;
}

Where should I do delete?

Thanks
Trupti

Samant.Trupti

  I want to dynamically allocate array variable of type LPWSTR.
Code looks like this...

int main() {
   LPWSTR  *wstr;

I recommend initialising all pointers to 0.
   int count = Foo (wstr);
   for (int i = 0; i < count; i++)
      //print each element;
}
int Foo(LPWSTR *wstr)

Whatever you allocate here will probably change 'wstr'.  The problem is,
the caller of 'Foo' will not know of those changes.  If you expect the
caller to access the array, you need to make sure the changes are also
transferred back to the caller.  For that pass 'wstr' either by
reference or by pointer:

    int Foo(LPWSTR * &wstr)
{
   int count = 0;
   while (!done){
     //Here I need to allocate "wstr" one element by one element.  How
to do that?

What does it mean "one element by one element"?  Is it supposed to grow
somehow?  Is it conditional?  Based on what?
    // I don't know the count
   count ++;

Huh?  Where is the return statement?
Where should I do delete?

Whoever *owns* the allocated array should dispose of it at the point
they don't need it any longer.  I would say, the 'main' seems to get the
ownership once 'Foo' is done allocating, so 'delete[]' should be in the
'main' function (as written, at least).

--------------------------- with all those things in mind, you're
probably much better off using a vector of LPWSTR:

#include <vector>

void Foo(std::vector<LPWSTR>& wstr);

int main()
{
     std::vector<LPWSTR> wstr;
     Foo(wstr);
     ...           // no need to delete anything, 'std::vector'
                   // takes care of its own storage.  And it has
                   // '.size()' too, so you don't need to keep
                   // the count, it does it for you.

}

void Foo(std::vector<LPWSTR>& wstr)
{
     while (!done)
         wstr.push_back( /* some new LPWSTR value */ );

Hmmm Ok I will use vectior that seems very simple. Thank you.

But just for my Knowledge
If I do not know the "count" in Foo to allocate the number of elements
in arrary at the beginning
I need to do realloc everytime, right?
Trupti