dynamically create a page

steve

Hi all

I'm busy with that web site and I have to make 50 pages that are
exactly the same only have one different picture and one text that are
different.
What is the easiest and faster way to go about this?
Can I maybe put all the 50 pictures in one folder and the 50 pieces of
text in other folder and some how tell the page to choose a picture
and text depend on the link that is coming from or something like
that?
Or do I maybe use a SSI?

Thanks

steve

Hi all
I'm busy with that web site and I have to make 50 pages that are
exactly the same only have one different picture and one text that are
different.
What is the easiest and faster way to go about this?
Can I maybe put all the 50 pictures in one folder and the 50 pieces of
text in other folder and some how tell the page to choose a picture
and text depend on the link that is coming from or something like
that?
Or do I maybe use a SSI?

Thanks

I did not say that I have to update that site very often with the same
pages again just a different picture and text.

Dennis M. Marks

I have read the following message from "steve"
<[email protected]>
and have decided to lend my vast knowledge.

The writer said:
I did not say that I have to update that site very often with the same
pages again just a different picture and text.

and my reply is:
At one time I had a slide show that generated pages using a javascript.
There was one start page and one master page. When the master was
called the slide number was included after a ? mark in the URL. This
was used by the javascript to generate the page.

The parts are
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/master.html
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/slides.html
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/slidetable.js

Note that the links to the grapics are not correct and the slides are
not there.

Marc Nadeau

steve a écrit:
I did not say that I have to update that site very often with the same
pages again just a different picture and text.

For a small site like this, with uniform pages, SSIs are sufficient.
PHP could be used too. the code will be simple, using templates and almost
exclusively the include instruction.

One or the other represents almost the same work-load. Both solutions make
it easy to maintain.

With php you have more flexibility for further enhancements.

If you intend your site to grow to more than a few hundred pages or to make
very frequent updates, think about a database like mysql and plan a CMS
(Content Management System).

Bonne chance!

steve

Hi all
For a small site like this, with uniform pages, SSIs are sufficient.
PHP could be used too. the code will be simple, using templates and almost
exclusively the include instruction.

Thanks Marc can you maybe give me a sample using SSI?
That way I will have some idea where to start from.

steve

Hi all
and my reply is:
At one time I had a slide show that generated pages using a javascript.
There was one start page and one master page. When the master was
called the slide number was included after a ? mark in the URL. This
was used by the javascript to generate the page.

The parts are
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/master.html
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/slides.html
http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/slidetable.js

Note that the links to the grapics are not correct and the slides are
not there.

That look good, I will give it a go.

Marc Nadeau

steve a écrit:
Thanks Marc can you maybe give me a sample using SSI?
That way I will have some idea where to start from.

http://mon-oueb.com/barbarella/

This is an old site of mine and somewhat out-dated;the next version of this
one will be written in PHP.

When you read the html (shtml) code , you will see some html comments of
this form:

<!-- inc retour-barba-5.txt -->
and
<!-- fin retour-barba-5.txt -->

These two comments mark where an included block starts and ends. They are
part of the included block. A good habit, i think.

Of course you can not see the including tag, it has been parsed by the
apache server and replaced by the text file before serving. The extension
of the included file is not very important but... stick with the plain
ones.

The form of this tag is:

<!--#include virtual="/barbarella/inclusions/whatever.txt" -->

Using php it would be:

<?php include 'inclusions/whatever.phtml'; ?>

The php method would give you an opportunity to throw in some goodies; if
not right now at least for further enhancements.

If you are very interested in web programming, also look at perl.

Bonne lecture!