    that?
    Or do I maybe use a SSI?

    Thanks

    steve, Feb 24, 2004

  2. steve

    steve Guest

    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm busy with that web site and I have to make 50 pages that are
    > exactly the same only have one different picture and one text that

    are
    > different.
    > What is the easiest and faster way to go about this?
    > Can I maybe put all the 50 pictures in one folder and the 50 pieces

    of
    > text in other folder and some how tell the page to choose a picture
    > and text depend on the link that is coming from or something like
    > that?
    > Or do I maybe use a SSI?
    >
    > Thanks

    I did not say that I have to update that site very often with the same
    pages again just a different picture and text.

    steve, Feb 25, 2004

  3. I have read the following message from "steve"
    <>
    and have decided to lend my vast knowledge.

    The writer said:
    > > Hi all
    > >
    > > I'm busy with that web site and I have to make 50 pages that are
    > > exactly the same only have one different picture and one text that

    > are
    > > different.
    > > What is the easiest and faster way to go about this?
    > > Can I maybe put all the 50 pictures in one folder and the 50 pieces

    > of
    > > text in other folder and some how tell the page to choose a picture
    > > and text depend on the link that is coming from or something like
    > > that?
    > > Or do I maybe use a SSI?
    > >
    > > Thanks

    > I did not say that I have to update that site very often with the same
    > pages again just a different picture and text.

    and my reply is:
    At one time I had a slide show that generated pages using a javascript.
    There was one start page and one master page. When the master was
    called the slide number was included after a ? mark in the URL. This
    was used by the javascript to generate the page.

    The parts are
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/master.html
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/slides.html
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/slidetable.js

    Note that the links to the grapics are not correct and the slides are
    not there.

    --
    Dennis M. Marks
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/

    Dennis M. Marks, Feb 26, 2004
  4. steve

    Marc Nadeau Guest

    steve a écrit:

    >> Hi all
    >>
    >> I'm busy with that web site and I have to make 50 pages that are
    >> exactly the same only have one different picture and one text that

    > are
    >> different.
    >> What is the easiest and faster way to go about this?
    >> Can I maybe put all the 50 pictures in one folder and the 50 pieces

    > of
    >> text in other folder and some how tell the page to choose a picture
    >> and text depend on the link that is coming from or something like
    >> that?
    >> Or do I maybe use a SSI?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > I did not say that I have to update that site very often with the same
    > pages again just a different picture and text.

    For a small site like this, with uniform pages, SSIs are sufficient.
    PHP could be used too. the code will be simple, using templates and almost
    exclusively the include instruction.

    One or the other represents almost the same work-load. Both solutions make
    it easy to maintain.

    With php you have more flexibility for further enhancements.

    If you intend your site to grow to more than a few hundred pages or to make
    very frequent updates, think about a database like mysql and plan a CMS
    (Content Management System).

    Bonne chance!

    --
    mv sco /dev/null
    Marc Nadeau # La Pagerie /* http://www.pagerie.com */

    Marc Nadeau, Feb 26, 2004
  5. steve

    steve Guest

    > >> Hi all
    > >>
    > >> I'm busy with that web site and I have to make 50 pages that are
    > >> exactly the same only have one different picture and one text

    that
    > > are
    > >> different.
    > >> What is the easiest and faster way to go about this?
    > >> Can I maybe put all the 50 pictures in one folder and the 50

    pieces
    > > of
    > >> text in other folder and some how tell the page to choose a

    picture
    > >> and text depend on the link that is coming from or something like
    > >> that?
    > >> Or do I maybe use a SSI?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

    > > I did not say that I have to update that site very often with the

    same
    > > pages again just a different picture and text.

    > For a small site like this, with uniform pages, SSIs are sufficient.
    > PHP could be used too. the code will be simple, using templates and

    almost
    > exclusively the include instruction.

    Thanks Marc can you maybe give me a sample using SSI?
    That way I will have some idea where to start from.

    steve, Feb 26, 2004
  6. steve

    steve Guest

    > > > Hi all
    > > >
    > > > I'm busy with that web site and I have to make 50 pages that are
    > > > exactly the same only have one different picture and one text

    that
    > > are
    > > > different.
    > > > What is the easiest and faster way to go about this?
    > > > Can I maybe put all the 50 pictures in one folder and the 50

    pieces
    > > of
    > > > text in other folder and some how tell the page to choose a

    picture
    > > > and text depend on the link that is coming from or something

    like
    > > > that?
    > > > Or do I maybe use a SSI?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks

    > > I did not say that I have to update that site very often with the

    same
    > > pages again just a different picture and text.
    > >

    > and my reply is:
    > At one time I had a slide show that generated pages using a

    javascript.
    > There was one start page and one master page. When the master was
    > called the slide number was included after a ? mark in the URL. This
    > was used by the javascript to generate the page.
    >
    > The parts are
    > http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/master.html
    > http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/slides.html
    > http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/slidetable.js
    >
    > Note that the links to the grapics are not correct and the slides

    are
    > not there.

    That look good, I will give it a go.

    steve, Feb 26, 2004
  7. I have read the following message from "steve"
    <>

    The writer said:

    > that
    > > > are

    > pieces
    > > > of

    > picture

    > like

    > > > I did not say that I have to update that site very often with the

    > same
    > > > pages again just a different picture and text.
    > > >

    > > and my reply is:
    > > At one time I had a slide show that generated pages using a

    > javascript.
    > > There was one start page and one master page. When the master was
    > > called the slide number was included after a ? mark in the URL. This
    > > was used by the javascript to generate the page.
    > >
    > > The parts are
    > > http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/master.html
    > > http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/slides.html
    > > http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/slidetable.js
    > >
    > > Note that the links to the grapics are not correct and the slides

    > are
    > > not there.

    > That look good, I will give it a go.

    and my reply is:
    The scripts work now. There are 3 demo slides. Graphics have been
    replaced with characters.
    http://www.dcs-chico.com/~denmarks/testfile/slides.html

    This was written a couple of years ago and I'm sure it could be
    simplified and improved.

    --
    Dennis M. Marks

    Dennis M. Marks, Feb 26, 2004
  8. steve

    Marc Nadeau Guest

    steve a écrit:

    > that
    >> > are

    > pieces
    >> > of

    > picture

    >> > I did not say that I have to update that site very often with the

    > same
    >> > pages again just a different picture and text.

    >> For a small site like this, with uniform pages, SSIs are sufficient.
    >> PHP could be used too. the code will be simple, using templates and

    > almost
    >> exclusively the include instruction.

    > Thanks Marc can you maybe give me a sample using SSI?
    > That way I will have some idea where to start from.

    http://mon-oueb.com/barbarella/

    This is an old site of mine and somewhat out-dated;the next version of this
    one will be written in PHP.

    When you read the html (shtml) code , you will see some html comments of
    this form:

    <!-- inc retour-barba-5.txt -->
    and
    <!-- fin retour-barba-5.txt -->

    These two comments mark where an included block starts and ends. They are
    part of the included block. A good habit, i think.

    Of course you can not see the including tag, it has been parsed by the
    apache server and replaced by the text file before serving. The extension
    of the included file is not very important but... stick with the plain
    ones.

    The form of this tag is:

    <!--#include virtual="/barbarella/inclusions/whatever.txt" -->

    Using php it would be:

    <?php include 'inclusions/whatever.phtml'; ?>

    The php method would give you an opportunity to throw in some goodies; if
    not right now at least for further enhancements.

    If you are very interested in web programming, also look at perl.

    Bonne lecture!

    Marc Nadeau, Feb 27, 2004