dynamically create html from Word docs.

nicky j

Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, please point me
in the correct direction and ignore if so..

I'm trying to figure out how to run a script on my server which will
go over a few folders of Word documents, and create html pages out of
them which I can then serve to my users. Preferably I want to do this
without installing anything else on the server, hopefully it's
achievable with a scripting language like VBscript/ASP?

Please excuse my ignorance, I am used to web programming in PHP,Perl,
Java, but for this I need to use ASP, on IIS. I've Googled & Yahooed
and not come up with much. Now I'm completely stuck for ideas of even
how to start! Links, ideas, all welcome. TIA, nicky

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

nicky j said:
Hi, I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this, please point me
in the correct direction and ignore if so..

I'm trying to figure out how to run a script on my server which will
go over a few folders of Word documents, and create html pages out of
them which I can then serve to my users. Preferably I want to do this
without installing anything else on the server, hopefully it's
achievable with a scripting language like VBscript/ASP?

Please excuse my ignorance, I am used to web programming in PHP,Perl,
Java, but for this I need to use ASP, on IIS. I've Googled & Yahooed
and not come up with much. Now I'm completely stuck for ideas of even
how to start! Links, ideas, all welcome. TIA, nicky

You'll probably get a better response in an MS Word/VBA forum. There's no
other real good way to do this on a server, especially without a third-party
component installed on the server.

Pravin Patil

Two ways to achieve this
1] In asp, Create Word Object
Open file in Word object and save it as HTML in desired location

Or
2]
Write a COM component which will accept file name and path
Open Word file and save it as HTML in desired location

- Pravin Patil

nicky j

From: Pravin Patil

Two ways to achieve this
1] In asp, Create Word Object
Open file in Word object and save it as HTML in desired location

Or
2]
Write a COM component which will accept file name and path
Open Word file and save it as HTML in desired location

- Pravin Patil

To: Pravin Patil

Hi, your solution 1] with a Word Object sounds promising, I will try it
when I'm back at work tomorrow. It seems like I could do that just with
some ASP/VBScript, and the right permissions. Thanks!

Cheers
Nicky

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

From: Pravin Patil

Two ways to achieve this
1] In asp, Create Word Object
Open file in Word object and save it as HTML in desired location

Hi, your solution 1] with a Word Object sounds promising, I will try it
when I'm back at work tomorrow. It seems like I could do that just with
some ASP/VBScript, and the right permissions. Thanks!

Yeah, but it's a bad idea ...
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=257757