Dynamically create list of directories for search

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Petyr David, Dec 5, 2006.

  1. Petyr David

    Petyr David Guest

    Current:

    web page has hard coded directories (using checkboxes) user may choose
    to search for files matching a pattern they enter in text box. Perl is
    used to search for files and to format HTML output.

    Desired:

    dynamically created group of checkboxes upon opening web page. My
    initial idea is to have user run separate Perl script to find
    directories and built the HTML output. they would then make their
    choices from group of directories.

    Is there a way WITHIN the web page for JavaScript to call the Perl
    script and have it return the directory names and modify the HTML to
    create the checkboxes? or a drop menu?

    TX - replies may also be sent to
    Petyr David, Dec 5, 2006

  2. Petyr David

    pcx99 Guest

    Petyr David wrote:
    > Current:
    >
    > web page has hard coded directories (using checkboxes) user may choose
    > to search for files matching a pattern they enter in text box. Perl is
    > used to search for files and to format HTML output.
    >
    > Desired:
    >
    > dynamically created group of checkboxes upon opening web page. My
    > initial idea is to have user run separate Perl script to find
    > directories and built the HTML output. they would then make their
    > choices from group of directories.
    >
    > Is there a way WITHIN the web page for JavaScript to call the Perl
    > script and have it return the directory names and modify the HTML to
    > create the checkboxes? or a drop menu?
    >
    > TX - replies may also be sent to

    Search google for "ajax tutorial". You can also find a nice article
    here http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Concurrent_Ajax ( shameless self-link ).

    http://www.hunlock.com
    $FA
    pcx99, Dec 5, 2006