Dynamically generate DB structure from XML schema (XSD)

Discussion in 'XML' started by MarjaR, Oct 5, 2005.

  1. MarjaR

    MarjaR Guest

    For my application I need to develop an interface with an external
    organisation, based on XMLHTTP messaging.

    Depending on the specific purpose of the communication, this external
    organisation will send me various XML schemas (XSD documents)
    specifying the structure for the message interfaces.

    I need to be able to interpret these XSD documents and dynamically
    generate my database structure based on that.
    But... I don't have a clue where to start.

    I use classic ASP with VBscript.

    Any tips on how to go about this? Or maybe even some example code?

    --
    Marja Ribbers-de Vroed

    MarjaR, Oct 5, 2005

  2. Tjerk Wolterink, Oct 6, 2005

  3. MarjaR wrote:
    > For my application I need to develop an interface with an external
    > organisation, based on XMLHTTP messaging.
    >
    > Depending on the specific purpose of the communication, this external
    > organisation will send me various XML schemas (XSD documents)
    > specifying the structure for the message interfaces.
    >
    > I need to be able to interpret these XSD documents and dynamically
    > generate my database structure based on that.
    > But... I don't have a clue where to start.
    >
    > I use classic ASP with VBscript.
    >
    > Any tips on how to go about this? Or maybe even some example code?

    Converting XMLSchema's to relational databases is a rather advanced
    topic. if .. IF .. if you want to support all xml schema documents,

    at my university they are researching a way to create a fast XML
    Database ( not the old type of relational databases).

    In the future i hope that xml databases can compete with the old
    and fast relational databases.

    Tjerk Wolterink, Oct 6, 2005
  4. MarjaR

    Nick Kew Guest

    Tjerk Wolterink wrote:

    > I must sign up!! damn.

    In that case, bear in mind the site in question has a history
    of spamming, even if the OP in this thread is genuine.

    --
    Nick Kew

    Nick Kew, Oct 6, 2005
  5. MarjaR

    MarjaR Guest

    > Converting XMLSchema's to relational databases is a rather advanced
    > topic. if .. IF .. if you want to support all xml schema documents,

    The XML schemas I need to deal with have a fairly simple structure and
    can most often be mapped to one DB table (one record layout). I don't
    think it will be too
    difficult in this case.

    MarjaR, Oct 6, 2005
  6. MarjaR

    MarjaR Guest

    >> I must sign up!! damn.

    > In that case, bear in mind the site in question has a history
    > of spamming,

    I'm sorry, I wasn't aware of that.

    MarjaR, Oct 6, 2005