dynamically generated webpage (Tomcat) visitor tracking

neuneudr

Hi,

I'm not sure this is the correct group to ask this but
I really have no idea where it would be appropriate.

For a (Java-backed) Webapp serving HTML pages
generated using JSP (running on Tomcat 5.5), what
would be an easy (and free) way to keep track of
the visitors coming to the site?

I prefer to run Tomcat in stand-alone mode so I was
figuring out maybe I could use the free "Google Analytics"
(ex-Urchin if I understand correctly) and hence simply
insert some Google-provided .js link into each JSP
generated page. Has anyone here used this for a
Webapp done with Java/JSPs?

Another option would be to run Apache + Tomcat then
use something like Webalizer to parse Apache's logs.

Or maybe is there some tools allowing to parse Tomcat
logs?

I could go on and make my own DB, tracking the features
I want, but I really don't want to re-invent the wheel.

What would you recommend as a simple, free, way
to track visitors coming to an Tomcat (or Apache + Tomcat)
server ?

Thanks a lot,

Driss

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

For a (Java-backed) Webapp serving HTML pages
generated using JSP (running on Tomcat 5.5), what
would be an easy (and free) way to keep track of
the visitors coming to the site?

I prefer to run Tomcat in stand-alone mode so I was
figuring out maybe I could use the free "Google Analytics"
(ex-Urchin if I understand correctly) and hence simply
insert some Google-provided .js link into each JSP
generated page. Has anyone here used this for a
Webapp done with Java/JSPs?

Another option would be to run Apache + Tomcat then
use something like Webalizer to parse Apache's logs.

Or maybe is there some tools allowing to parse Tomcat
logs?

Tomcat can be configured to create an access log
in the same common log format used by Apache HTTPD,
which means that you can parse it will all log
analyzers including webalizer.

Arne

Manish Pandit

What would you recommend as a simple, free, way
to track visitors coming to an Tomcat (or Apache + Tomcat)
server ?

I have been using phpMyVisites (http://www.phpmyvisites.us). It did not
take long to get it up and running, as the wizard like interface takes
care of schema and account creation for you.

It has good documentation, runs locally (or on any server of your
choice) using Apache and MySQL and the results are just as
comprehensive as Google Analytics.

-cheers,
Manish