Dynamically inserting text into Table Cells so that they are instantly updated individually.

Ceri

I am running an ASP.Net project that runs 30 lengthy SQL Stored
Procedures (each takes around 20 seconds to complete). As each Stored
Procedure completes, I want to indicate in a table cell that it has
completed by merely inserting the word "Complete" into the table cell.
I would love to know if there is a way of updating each cell
dynamically, without having to re-post the page, so that the word
"Complete" appears as soon as each procedure ends, rather than having
to wait for for all 30 procedures to end, and then the 30 cells
appearing with the word "Complete" in them.

Tammy

don't think there's any way to do that.
you're probably thinking about disabling buffering the response output and
flushing output everytime a sproc finishes. but as far as i know, buffering
output is sequential - you can't target a specific cell in a datagrid that's
already been rendered.

you can try to speed up the execution of the sprocs by running each sproc in
a separate thread so they run concurrently.

Ceri Locke

Thanks Tammy. I knew that multi-threading was probably my best option,
but I wanted to make sure that there wasn't some simple solution that
had simply escaped me. I thank you for confirming that there wasn't.