Dynamically writing a <BR> in a panel or placeholder

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Controls' started by CoreyMas, Feb 25, 2005.

  1. CoreyMas

    CoreyMas Guest

    Hello everyone,

    I am in a bit of a dilema trying to write an HTML <br> tag into a panel or
    placeholder.

    Here is the situation

    I have 4 tables that represent 4 levels of data (level4 is linked to a
    level3 etc) all the way up to a level 1

    Example

    Level1
    Level2a
    Level2b
    Level3a
    Level3B
    Level4a
    Level4b
    Level2c

    I am using a datalist to contain these 4 levels, but I want to recreate a
    tree like structure so that the user can easily see what level2's are in a
    level1 as well as select a particular level to see its details.

    The link buttons work fine but I am unable to get the levels to look right.
    So I looked at trying to add a BR tag at the end of each level but it does
    not seem to be working.

    This is the result that I am getting:

    Level1Level2aLevel........

    When I look at the View Source on the web page the <br> tags are NOT there.

    What am I doing wrong?

    I thought about trying to use HtmlTextWriter, but I have NO idea how that
    works and the examples in VS are not very explicit.

    Any help would be much appreciated... I am even open to other ways to create
    this tree like structure.

    BTW - I am using VS 2003.

    Here is the code that I have created so far for my datalist itemdatabound:

    Private Sub dlstMaster_ItemDataBound(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
    System.Web.UI.WebControls.DataListItemEventArgs) Handles
    dlstMaster.ItemDataBound
    Dim dv As DataRowView = e.Item.DataItem
    Dim spacer As New LiteralControl("<br>")
    Dim level1linkbutton As New LinkButton
    Dim level1panel As PlaceHolder = e.Item.FindControl("Level1Panel")
    level1linkbutton.Text = dv("Level1Name")
    level1linkbutton.CommandArgument = dv("Level1Id").ToString
    level1linkbutton.CommandName = "Level1Click"
    level1panel.Controls.Add(level1linkbutton)
    level1panel.Controls.Add(spacer)
    Dim ds As New DataSet
    ds = Session("ds")
    If Not dv Is Nothing Then
    Dim level2dv As DataView
    level2dv = dv.CreateChildView("level2")
    Dim row As DataRowView
    For Each row In level2dv
    Dim level2linkbutton As New LinkButton
    level2linkbutton.Text = row("Level2Name")
    level2linkbutton.CommandArgument = row("Level2Id").ToString
    level2linkbutton.CommandName = "Level2Click"

    level1panel.Controls.Add(level2linkbutton)
    level1panel.Controls.Add(spacer)
    ' Now loop through the level 3 details
    Dim level3dv As DataView
    level3dv = New DataView(ds.Tables("AllLevel3"), "Level2Id =
    '" & row("Level2Id").ToString & "'", "Level3Name",
    DataViewRowState.CurrentRows)
    Dim level3row As DataRowView
    For Each level3row In level3dv
    Dim level3linkbutton As New LinkButton
    level3linkbutton.Text = level3row("Level3Name")
    level3linkbutton.CommandArgument =
    level3row("Level3Id").ToString
    level3linkbutton.CommandName = "Level3Click"
    level1panel.Controls.Add(level3linkbutton)
    level1panel.Controls.Add(spacer)
    ' now get the level 4's
    Dim level4dv As DataView
    level4dv = New DataView(ds.Tables("AllLevel4"),
    "Level3Id = '" & level3row("Level3Id").ToString & "'", "Level4Name",
    DataViewRowState.CurrentRows)
    Dim level4row As DataRowView
    For Each level4row In level4dv
    Dim level4linkbutton As New LinkButton
    level4linkbutton.Text = level4row("Level4Name")
    level4linkbutton.CommandArgument =
    level4row("Level4Id").ToString
    level4linkbutton.CommandName = "Level4Click"
    level1panel.Controls.Add(level4linkbutton)
    level1panel.Controls.Add(spacer)
    Next
    Next
    Next
    End If
    End Sub

    The problem is that when I add the spacer control (a literal control with
    the BR in it) it is not added into the placeholder. I have tried to use a
    panel, with the same effect

    CoreyMas, Feb 25, 2005

  2. CoreyMas

    MasterGaurav Guest