Dynamicaly read a directory & its sub-directory.

akrashid

Hi all,

I have a simple document imaging application In this application I
scan documents and the store them in PDF format in directories that are
named A through Z. During the day I could have 200 to 300 new files
in some or all the above directories.

I was thinking may be there is a way that I could, using html create a
simple web page that would scan through the above structure and display
the PDF's as clickable links. Then a user could click on the link and
have the PDF document open up for working.

Any help or guidence will be appreciated.

I have MS Frontpage 2003, but no web server. Files are stored on a
windows server.

thanks in advance

dorayme

Hi all,

I have a simple document imaging application In this application I
scan documents and the store them in PDF format in directories that are
named A through Z. During the day I could have 200 to 300 new files
in some or all the above directories.

I was thinking may be there is a way that I could, using html create a
simple web page that would scan through the above structure and display
the PDF's as clickable links. Then a user could click on the link and
have the PDF document open up for working.

You can always make a clickable link to these docs, yes. Whether
they will open in the browser window is another matter, depending
on things out of your control on the users machine. They can
always right click and save it to disk and open it in their pdf
reader. You can say something about the mechanics or not. I
favour a few words, even specifying file size to help dialup
users.

Jonathan N. Little

Hi all,

I have a simple document imaging application In this application I
scan documents and the store them in PDF format in directories that are
named A through Z. During the day I could have 200 to 300 new files
in some or all the above directories.

I was thinking may be there is a way that I could, using html create a
simple web page that would scan through the above structure and display
the PDF's as clickable links. Then a user could click on the link and
have the PDF document open up for working.

Firstly, you must understand that HTML is not a programing language, it
doesn't do anything but define that part of a document, such as this is
a paragraph and that is a heading, and this is a list. For what you ask
requires scripting, and server-side to be precise.
Any help or guidence will be appreciated.

I have MS Frontpage 2003,

IMO that will not help you much, you want to automate something.
but no web server. Files are stored on a
windows server.

Confused here, so *who* will have access to these files. Are you
expecting folks on the Internet or on a private local LAN?

akrashid

doesn't do anything but define that part of a document, such as this is
a paragraph and that is a heading, and this is a list. For what you ask
requires scripting, and server-side to be precise.

expecting folks on the Internet or on a private local LAN?

Thanks for the feedback, I see what you are saying. These people are
going to be on an intranet, and the directory which is on a Windows
server, is going to be mapped to there PC. May aim was that instead of
digging in the directory structure I could display the contents of the
directories on a web page.

thanks again

Jonathan N. Little

Thanks for the feedback, I see what you are saying. These people are
going to be on an intranet, and the directory which is on a Windows
server, is going to be mapped to there PC. May aim was that instead of
digging in the directory structure I could display the contents of the
directories on a web page.

If it is a Windows share, why bother with a web page. Map the share in
Explorer and be done with it!