e-commerce

Samuel Shulman

Hi

I want to set up my first e-commerce website. Any clues where to begin

Thanks
Sam

HB

depends on if you have asp.net experience or just learning. If just
learning, there are too many issues with shopping carts, maintaining state,
credit card security, etc, and I'd suggest buying a shopping cart component
(none specifically) that integrates with the rest of the site. Shopping
carts are very complicated!

Samuel Shulman

I was actually more concerned with the payment processing
I heard that there are third parties companies that implement the payments
alone

Thanks,
Sam

liming

Two options.

1. Paypal. They provide payment standard and paymment pro. The difference is
one it takes your customers out to paypal for payment (return to your site
upon completion) and pro lets you process everything in the background ($20
monthly fee though) They offer plain form hidden fields for you to post to
them as well as webservices api for submission.

2. Authorize.net and merchant account. Authorize.net is another gateway
for ecommerce payment, but normally, you have to set up a merchant account
with a reseller first. Price varies.. but offers API for you to use as
well.

There are a lot other options like verizon and stuff, but the two above are
used the most. Paypal commerce starter kit covers the techical side of
option 1 and 2.

HB

I absolutely agree with :