    I want to set up my first e-commerce website. Any clues where to begin

    Thanks
    Sam
    Samuel Shulman, May 10, 2006

  2. Samuel Shulman

    sloan Guest

    sloan, May 10, 2006

  3. Samuel Shulman

    HB Guest

    depends on if you have asp.net experience or just learning. If just
    learning, there are too many issues with shopping carts, maintaining state,
    credit card security, etc, and I'd suggest buying a shopping cart component
    (none specifically) that integrates with the rest of the site. Shopping
    carts are very complicated!

    HB, May 10, 2006
  4. I was actually more concerned with the payment processing
    I heard that there are third parties companies that implement the payments
    alone

    Thanks,
    Sam

    Samuel Shulman, May 10, 2006
  5. Samuel Shulman

    liming Guest

    Two options.

    1. Paypal. They provide payment standard and paymment pro. The difference is
    one it takes your customers out to paypal for payment (return to your site
    upon completion) and pro lets you process everything in the background ($20
    monthly fee though) They offer plain form hidden fields for you to post to
    them as well as webservices api for submission.

    2. Authorize.net and merchant account. Authorize.net is another gateway
    for ecommerce payment, but normally, you have to set up a merchant account
    with a reseller first. Price varies.. but offers API for you to use as
    well.

    There are a lot other options like verizon and stuff, but the two above are
    used the most. Paypal commerce starter kit covers the techical side of
    option 1 and 2.

    liming, May 10, 2006
  6. Samuel Shulman

    clintonG Guest