e.Item.Cells.Count in UpdateCommand event of Datagrid

VBTECH

I have a datagrid in an ASp.net application. Only one column is created at
design time, rest of the columns are created and added to grid on the fly.

When I try to update values in datagrid through UpdateCommand event code
errors out.
e.Item.Cells.Count returns 1 even though I have more columns.

Here is the sample code for creating and adding columns on the fly.

Private Sub GridLoad()
Me.grdProjDetail.AutoGenerateColumns = False
Dim ds As New DataSet
ds = ReturnDataset_StoredProc("usp_StoredProc", Param1, Param2)

Me.grdProjDetail.DataSource = ds

'Create & add columns to DataGrid
Dim col As BoundColumn

'ProjectionDetailID
col = New BoundColumn
col.DataField = "ProjectionDetailID"
Me.grdProjDetail.Columns.Add(col)

'UpdateID
col = New BoundColumn
col.DataField = "UpdateID"
Me.grdProjDetail.Columns.Add(col)

'ItemNo
col = New BoundColumn
col.DataField = "ItemNo"
Me.grdProjDetail.Columns.Add(col)

'QuarterID
col = New BoundColumn
col.DataField = "QuarterID"
Me.grdProjDetail.Columns.Add(col)

'ITEM COLOR
col = New BoundColumn
col.DataField = "ITEMCOLOR"
Me.grdProjDetail.Columns.Add(col)

Me.grdProjDetail.DataBind()
End Sub

Your help is appreciated.

Brock Allen

When you dynamically build controls (or columns in this case) on the server,
you need to do this for every post back tot he server. So you need to rebuild
the columns for the grid. This is typically done in Page_Init or by overriding
CreateChildControls.