E-mail address on webpage

Blindsya

Rob McAninch said:
Jukka K. Korpela

If you indeed intend it to be a mailto: link then you have to put
the address in there.

I probably get around 50 between two accounts each day - still
doesn't take long to delete them.

I don't know if you can do this but is it possible to show the alternative
text in the code and have the code refer to the actual email address in a
css file?

andy johnson

Try this:

<!-- Spam Buster
Many "Email-Harvesting" programs steal email accounts from mailto:
tags in your
web page html source. Using this method will prevent these programs
from
stealing your email address, simply change the username and domainname
your email address username and domain name.
-->

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript">
// Change User Name and Domain Name
username="yourname"
at="@"
domainname="emailserver.com"
document.write("<A
HREF='mailto:"+username+""+at+""+domainname+"'>"+username+""+at+""+domainname+"</a>")
</script>

Andy

I just read through the thread, and I have a few thoughts.

On the account that I used for years and years, I now end up with
around 100 spam a day. Obviously, I had to stop using that e-mail.
No matter what I did, I could not get the spam to stop. Filtering
just didn't work - it just kept coming and coming. This, of course,
still causes strife because, since I used the address for years and
years, people still e-mail me there. So, I must still occasionally
sift through all that goddamn friggen spam. It really amazes me how
some people can e-mail me on the correct address one day... and the
very next day e-mail me at my old address. Brain fart or something?

My website e-mail gets about 2 spam a month. My "(e-mail address removed)"
address gets spammed all the time.

I also may have come up with a decent and easy way to "hide" an e-mail
address.

I use a javascript trick to remove common markup and make it easier to
change multiple pages -

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"
src="filename.js"></script>

and in filename.js I write:

document.write('text HTML blah blah blah')

I have noticed that in doing this, that robots can't crawl the
javascript (to fix the linking problem, I have put a link to a site
map on the main page). Assuming that harvesting robots would work the
same as search engine robots - then the harvesting robots will never
be able to see the e-mail address if you put it in filename.js

So... what you could theoretically do is have this where you want your
e-mail:

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"
src="email.js"></script>

and put this in the email.js file:

document.write('<a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>')

and it would work... right? maybe?

Just an idea. Thought I'd throw it out there. I think I may just try
it now. Actually, I currently have my address as me(@)domain.com
'cause I figured anyone with any brain cells would realize to remove
the "( )" - but I think this javascript trick might just be better :)

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
- (Calvin and Hobbes)

David Graham

Mr. Clean said:
While I hadn't though of doing it this way, I do have a PHP script
that essentially does the same thing to keep harvesters from getting
the emails on my site. If you want it, I'll post it here.
I would like to see your php please
thanks
David

Mark Parnell

Kathleen said:
I use a javascript trick to remove common markup and make it easier to
change multiple pages -
<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript"
src="email.js"></script>

and put this in the email.js file:

document.write('<a href="mailto:[email protected]">[email protected]</a>')

You own domain.com? I'm impressed ;-)
and it would work... right? maybe?

Only for users who actually have JavaScript enabled. And (in theory, at
least) if the browser can read it, then so can a spambot. There may not be
many of them around at the moment that can read JS, but they will come. A
better solution is to use a form that is submitted using a server-side
script. The only downfall with that is that some users will prefer to send
you email rather than filling in an online form. Ultimately, you either
need to cater to those users, and risk getting lots of spam, or not publish
your email address, and risk losing business from those users.

Ben

Mark said:
Only for users who actually have JavaScript enabled. And (in theory, at
least) if the browser can read it, then so can a spambot. There may not be
many of them around at the moment that can read JS, but they will come. A
better solution is to use a form that is submitted using a server-side
script. The only downfall with that is that some users will prefer to send
you email rather than filling in an online form. Ultimately, you either
need to cater to those users, and risk getting lots of spam, or not publish
your email address, and risk losing business from those users.

Stick the email address as an image clickable to a form. Best of both
and no java.

Ben