E-mail problem with my web site !

Discussion in 'HTML' started by birdynumnum, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. birdynumnum

    birdynumnum Guest

    I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
    there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide my
    address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.
    birdynumnum, Dec 2, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. birdynumnum wrote:
    > I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
    > there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide my
    > address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.
    >
    >


    Just the thing you need is right here:
    http://javascript.about.com/library/blemail1.htm
    All the best,


    --
    Peter
    nativespace - hosting & domain names
    providers of advanced, affordable UK hosting since 2001
    http://www.nativespace.com
    Peter - nativespace hosting, Dec 2, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. birdynumnum wrote:
    > I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
    > there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide my
    > address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.


    No. Some techniques -- putting your email address in an image, for
    instance -- may work against spam bots, but they will keep out blind
    users and annoy sighted users.
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 2, 2004
    #3
  4. birdynumnum

    Karl Core Guest

    "Peter - nativespace hosting" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > birdynumnum wrote:
    >> I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
    >> there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide
    >> my address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.

    >
    > Just the thing you need is right here:
    > http://javascript.about.com/library/blemail1.htm
    > All the best,
    >


    Doesn't work.
    Thanks for playing!


    --
    -Karl Core
    Please Support "Project Boneyard":
    http://www.insurgence.net/info.aspx?action=band&item=boneyard
    Karl Core, Dec 2, 2004
    #4
  5. While the city slept, Peter - nativespace hosting ()
    feverishly typed...

    > birdynumnum wrote:
    >> I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus,
    >> spam... Is there a way (a java script or something else) to block
    >> these spam (hide my address from spam) directly on my web page.
    >> Thank you for your help.
    >>
    >>

    >
    > Just the thing you need is right here:
    > http://javascript.about.com/library/blemail1.htm
    > All the best,


    Apart from the fact that this (the javascript version) will not work for the
    small(ish) percentage -- yet significant number -- of internet users who
    either don't have javascript available to them, or choose to disable it, how
    long can it possibly be before spam-bots are capable of decoding such things
    (if they can't already!)? And I'm sure they must be able to decode the hex
    characters version by now.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address not valid. , take the DOG. out!
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is very, very busy!
    nice.guy.nige, Dec 2, 2004
    #5
  6. While the city slept, birdynumnum () feverishly typed...

    > I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam...
    > Is there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam
    > (hide my address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for
    > your help.


    Use a contact form which stores the email address in the server-side script
    used to generate the email to you. If your host doesn't allow you to use
    server-side scripts, move to one that does. This doesn't have to be
    expensive - Affordable Host (http://www.affordablehost.com) have PHP enabled
    space for around $35/year (if you aren't in the US, this could also be a
    good time to take advantage of the currently weak dollar!). BTW, I don't
    work for Affordable Host - I'm a satisfied customer of some years (as are
    quite a few of the other regulars in here).

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address not valid. , take the DOG. out!
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is very, very busy!
    nice.guy.nige, Dec 2, 2004
    #6
  7. Karl Core wrote:
    > "Peter - nativespace hosting" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >
    >>birdynumnum wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
    >>>there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide
    >>>my address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.

    >>
    >>Just the thing you need is right here:
    >>http://javascript.about.com/library/blemail1.htm
    >>All the best,
    >>

    >
    >
    > Doesn't work.
    > Thanks for playing!
    >
    >


    Works here,
    Thanks

    --
    Peter
    nativespace - hosting & domain names
    providers of advanced, affordable UK hosting since 2001
    http://www.nativespace.com
    Peter - nativespace hosting, Dec 2, 2004
    #7
  8. birdynumnum

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > While the city slept, birdynumnum () feverishly
    > typed...
    >
    >> I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam...
    >> Is there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam
    >> (hide my address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for
    >> your help.

    >
    > Use a contact form which stores the email address in the server-side
    > script
    > used to generate the email to you. If your host doesn't allow you to use
    > server-side scripts, move to one that does. This doesn't have to be
    > expensive - Affordable Host (http://www.affordablehost.com) have PHP
    > enabled
    > space for around $35/year (if you aren't in the US, this could also be a
    > good time to take advantage of the currently weak dollar!). BTW, I don't
    > work for Affordable Host - I'm a satisfied customer of some years (as are
    > quite a few of the other regulars in here).


    The last time I checked Tina did not allow her email script to be modified,
    even to bury the email addresses within it.
    C A Upsdell, Dec 2, 2004
    #8
  9. birdynumnum

    Kris Guest

    In article <41af4d9e$0$8088$>,
    "birdynumnum" <> wrote:

    > I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
    > there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide my
    > address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.


    Get rid of Windows, consider Mac or Linux. The spam will still come, but
    it will hurt less.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Dec 2, 2004
    #9
  10. nice.guy.nige wrote:
    > While the city slept, birdynumnum () feverishly typed...
    >
    >>Is there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam
    >>(hide my address from spam) directly on my web page.

    >
    > Use a contact form which stores the email address in the server-side script
    > used to generate the email to you.


    I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm much less likely to use an email
    form than I am to send an email using my client of choice. I like having
    spell check, being able to save emails I've sent, and the interface is
    often a lot nicer than a Web form.
    Leif K-Brooks, Dec 2, 2004
    #10
  11. birdynumnum

    Philip Ronan Guest

    Karl Core wrote:

    > "Peter - nativespace hosting" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >>
    >> Just the thing you need is right here:
    >> http://javascript.about.com/library/blemail1.htm
    >> All the best,
    >>

    >
    > Doesn't work.
    > Thanks for playing!


    Doesn't work for me either. The first syntax error was on line 35, but I
    haven't bothered to find out why. Also, I think EFGrabber can decode the
    links produced by this page. Try mine instead :)

    http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/scramble.html

    --
    phil [dot] ronan @ virgin [dot] net
    http://vzone.virgin.net/phil.ronan/
    Philip Ronan, Dec 2, 2004
    #11
  12. birdynumnum

    Els Guest

    C A Upsdell wrote:

    > "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    >> While the city slept, birdynumnum ()
    >> feverishly typed...
    >>
    >>> I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting
    >>> virus, spam... Is there a way (a java script or something
    >>> else) to block these spam (hide my address from spam)
    >>> directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.

    >>
    >> Use a contact form which stores the email address in the
    >> server-side script
    >> used to generate the email to you. If your host doesn't
    >> allow you to use server-side scripts, move to one that
    >> does. This doesn't have to be expensive - Affordable Host
    >> (http://www.affordablehost.com) have PHP enabled
    >> space for around $35/year (if you aren't in the US, this
    >> could also be a good time to take advantage of the
    >> currently weak dollar!). BTW, I don't work for Affordable
    >> Host - I'm a satisfied customer of some years (as are
    >> quite a few of the other regulars in here).

    >
    > The last time I checked Tina did not allow her email script
    > to be modified, even to bury the email addresses within it.


    You don't have to modify Tina's email script to have a contact
    form with a server-side script on your site afaik.

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Dec 2, 2004
    #12
  13. birdynumnum

    C A Upsdell Guest

    "Els" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns95B3D1203F30AEls@130.133.1.4...
    >C A Upsdell wrote:
    >
    >> "nice.guy.nige" <> wrote in message
    >> news:...
    >>> While the city slept, birdynumnum ()
    >>> feverishly typed...
    >>>
    >>>> I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting
    >>>> virus, spam... Is there a way (a java script or something
    >>>> else) to block these spam (hide my address from spam)
    >>>> directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.
    >>>
    >>> Use a contact form which stores the email address in the
    >>> server-side script
    >>> used to generate the email to you. If your host doesn't
    >>> allow you to use server-side scripts, move to one that
    >>> does. This doesn't have to be expensive - Affordable Host
    >>> (http://www.affordablehost.com) have PHP enabled
    >>> space for around $35/year (if you aren't in the US, this
    >>> could also be a good time to take advantage of the
    >>> currently weak dollar!). BTW, I don't work for Affordable
    >>> Host - I'm a satisfied customer of some years (as are
    >>> quite a few of the other regulars in here).

    >>
    >> The last time I checked Tina did not allow her email script
    >> to be modified, even to bury the email addresses within it.

    >
    > You don't have to modify Tina's email script to have a contact
    > form with a server-side script on your site afaik.


    Please explain. How can I hide the email address in the server-side script
    if Tina does not let me modify the script?
    C A Upsdell, Dec 2, 2004
    #13
  14. birdynumnum

    Els Guest

    C A Upsdell wrote:

    >>> The last time I checked Tina did not allow her email
    >>> script to be modified, even to bury the email addresses
    >>> within it.

    >>
    >> You don't have to modify Tina's email script to have a
    >> contact form with a server-side script on your site afaik.

    >
    > Please explain. How can I hide the email address in the
    > server-side script if Tina does not let me modify the
    > script?


    By using your own script.
    I'm not using any of Tina's scripts. Yet I do use scripts.
    (yes, hosted by affordable host)

    --
    Els
    http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Dec 2, 2004
    #14
  15. birdynumnum

    howskip Guest

    "birdynumnum" <> wrote in message
    news:41af4d9e$0$8088$...
    >I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
    >there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide my
    >address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.



    Use this email scrambler. Can't be seen by email harvesters.
    http://www.webdesignwisdom.com/escrambler.shtml
    howskip, Dec 2, 2004
    #15
  16. "Els" <> wrote in message
    news:Xns95B3D4774FE45Els@130.133.1.4...
    >C A Upsdell wrote:
    >
    >>>> The last time I checked Tina did not allow her email
    >>>> script to be modified, even to bury the email addresses
    >>>> within it.
    >>>
    >>> You don't have to modify Tina's email script to have a
    >>> contact form with a server-side script on your site afaik.

    >>
    >> Please explain. How can I hide the email address in the
    >> server-side script if Tina does not let me modify the
    >> script?

    >
    > By using your own script.
    > I'm not using any of Tina's scripts. Yet I do use scripts.
    > (yes, hosted by affordable host)


    So, my scripts aren't good enough for you, eh? ;-)

    Seriously, we offer a copy/paste form-to-email script with our paid hosting
    accounts. Its a simple and easy form for newbies, but it doesn't hide the
    email address. You can run your own php or perl form script (as long as its
    secure and isn't Matt Wright's Formmail) and hide your email address quite
    nicely though.

    --Tina
    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com - Multi-Domain & Reseller Cpanel Hosting
    ++ 20% Discount Coupon Code ++: newsgroup
    Serving the web since 1997
    Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc., Dec 2, 2004
    #16
  17. birdynumnum

    Toby Inkster Guest

    nice.guy.nige wrote:

    > Apart from the fact that this (the javascript version) will not work for the
    > small(ish) percentage -- yet significant number -- of internet users who
    > either don't have javascript available to them, or choose to disable it, how
    > long can it possibly be before spam-bots are capable of decoding such things
    > (if they can't already!)? And I'm sure they must be able to decode the hex
    > characters version by now.


    My humble attempt:
    http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/email-hide

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    Toby Inkster, Dec 2, 2004
    #17
  18. While the city slept, Toby Inkster ()
    feverishly typed...

    > My humble attempt:
    > http://examples.tobyinkster.co.uk/email-hide


    Nifty, but still won't work unless javascript is available and enabled at
    the client end.

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address not valid. , take the DOG. out!
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is very, very busy!
    nice.guy.nige, Dec 2, 2004
    #18
  19. While the city slept, Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. ()
    feverishly typed...
    [scripts at AH]

    > So, my scripts aren't good enough for you, eh? ;-)


    Your scripts are the best, Tina! ;-)

    > Seriously, we offer a copy/paste form-to-email script with our paid
    > hosting accounts. Its a simple and easy form for newbies, but it
    > doesn't hide the email address.


    If you offer a copy/paste version of the script, couldn't a client copy the
    script, put their email address inside the script and save it? Or have I
    missed a point here?

    BTW, did Brian tell you about your namesakes with the co.uk address? ;-)
    (the one I ended up at the other night because I got your address wrong)

    Cheers,
    Nige

    --
    Nigel Moss
    http://www.nigenet.org.uk
    Mail address not valid. , take the DOG. out!
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is very, very busy!
    nice.guy.nige, Dec 2, 2004
    #19
  20. Leif K-Brooks wrote:
    > nice.guy.nige wrote:
    >
    >> While the city slept, birdynumnum () feverishly
    >> typed...
    >>
    >>> Is there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam
    >>> (hide my address from spam) directly on my web page.

    >>
    >>
    >> Use a contact form which stores the email address in the server-side
    >> script
    >> used to generate the email to you.

    >
    >
    > I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm much less likely to use an email
    > form than I am to send an email using my client of choice. I like having
    > spell check, being able to save emails I've sent, and the interface is
    > often a lot nicer than a Web form.


    And if you're on a machine at the local library,
    you will choose...?
    My form sends you a copy if you just enter your
    email address correctly. On the same page you have
    the choice to use webmail or Thunderbird even if
    you don't enable javascript...
    And I have a free account!


    --
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen
    http://home.no.net/ingernet/
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen, Dec 2, 2004
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. mike kim
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    515
    clintonG
    Aug 20, 2003
  2. =?Utf-8?B?TXJGZXo=?=

    Mail message size problem (System.Web.Mail)

    =?Utf-8?B?TXJGZXo=?=, Mar 14, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    629
    =?Utf-8?B?TXJGZXo=?=
    Mar 14, 2005
  3. =?Utf-8?B?TWlja2VCb3k=?=

    Problem with System.Web.Mail.MailMessage and HTML mail

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlja2VCb3k=?=, Jun 15, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    896
    =?Utf-8?B?TWlja2VCb3k=?=
    Jun 21, 2005
  4. Brad
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    9,720
  5. Tiddley-Pom
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    422
    Mark Parnell
    Oct 15, 2003
Loading...

Share This Page