E-mail problem with my web site !

Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.

nice.guy.nige said:
While the city slept, Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc.
([email protected])
feverishly typed...
[scripts at AH]
So, my scripts aren't good enough for you, eh? ;-)

Your scripts are the best, Tina! ;-)
Seriously, we offer a copy/paste form-to-email script with our paid
hosting accounts. Its a simple and easy form for newbies, but it
doesn't hide the email address.

If you offer a copy/paste version of the script, couldn't a client copy
the
script, put their email address inside the script and save it? Or have I
missed a point here?

The actual script isn't installed in individual hosting accounts. Its a bit
of copy/paste form code that you include in your webpages. If you host on
our network, the form code will work. If not, it won't.

BTW, did Brian tell you about your namesakes with the co.uk address? ;-)
(the one I ended up at the other night because I got your address wrong)

Yeah, I let that domain expire about a year ago. *kicks self*

--Tina

lime

"Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc." wrote in message ...
Seriously, we offer a copy/paste form-to-email script with our paid
hosting accounts. Its a simple and easy form for newbies, but it doesn't
hide the email address. You can run your own php or perl form script (as
long as its secure and isn't Matt Wright's Formmail) and hide your email
address quite nicely though.

Hi Tina,

What's wrong with Matt Wright's Formmail from your perspective?

Helen

lime

"Leif K-Brooks" wrote ...
I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm much less likely to use an email
form than I am to send an email using my client of choice. I like having
spell check, being able to save emails I've sent, and the interface is
often a lot nicer than a Web form.

I think forms are great for the first contact.

Once that has been made you can continue on with the "normal" way of
emailing to & fro.

nice.guy.nige

While the city slept, Tina - AffordableHOST, Inc. ([email protected])
feverishly typed...
The actual script isn't installed in individual hosting accounts.
Its a bit of copy/paste form code that you include in your webpages.
If you host on our network, the form code will work. If not, it
won't.

Aah, I think I read you correctly now... you mean the script is generic, but
the form code is copy and paste (and insert your address here)?
Yeah, I let that domain expire about a year ago. *kicks self*

Ah. Maybe Brian didn't mention it. If you remember I was in the tech support
chatroom a couple of nights ago because I thought the AH site had gone all
Lorem Ipsum. Turned out I absent-mindedly typed in a .co.uk address instead
of your .com. We were commenting on their (dreadfully tacky) template.
Anyhow, was trying to get to your site tonight, started typing your web
address in IE, autocomplete gave me some options, and I took the first one
on the list, which happened to be the .co.uk address. Then a page opened to
say "This account has been suspended"! Just had to pop into your chatroom
again to mention this... Brian was most amused! I asked him to pass it on to
you, but maybe he was too busy... ;-)

Cheers,
Nige

Wizard of Draws

I have put my e-mail on my web site and I keep getting virus, spam... Is
there a way (a java script or something else) to block these spam (hide my
address from spam) directly on my web page. Thank you for your help.

Use a form and also provide an image with your address on it for people that
would like to use their own email client, as I've done here:
http://www.wizardofdraws.com/main/form.html

Toby Inkster

nice.guy.nige said:
While the city slept, Toby Inkster ([email protected])
feverishly typed...

Nifty, but still won't work unless javascript is available and enabled at
the client end.

Obviously, but then they still get the human readable version, which was
my intention.

Leonard Blaisdell

Hi Tina,

What's wrong with Matt Wright's Formmail from your perspective?

I'm most certainly not speaking for Tina but would be surprised if she
argued with this. Matt Wright's scripts were written long ago and were
notoriously insecure. If you want highly updated scripts written by expert
perlers which address the former problems, visit
<http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/>.

leo

lime

Leonard Blaisdell said:
I'm most certainly not speaking for Tina but would be surprised if she
argued with this. Matt Wright's scripts were written long ago and were
notoriously insecure. If you want highly updated scripts written by expert
perlers which address the former problems, visit
<http://nms-cgi.sourceforge.net/>.

Thank you for the response Leonard.

marcus

Thanks for all your suggestions. For now on the best solution I find out is
to put my e-mail address in Flash.

Better to use GIF/JPG as it's universal. Remember that not everyone has flash
installed or enabled.

regards
Marcus

Neal

marcus:
(re: flash email address)
Better to use GIF/JPG as it's universal.

No, there are plenty of cases where images are not loaded.

OP wants email address available to nice people and unavailable to bad
people. The computer can't really make that distinction. So best solution
is to make it available to all and then take local measures to deal with
the spam.

Uncle Pirate

lime said:
Thank you for the response Leonard.

I unwittingly used Matt's Formmail at one time. It was immediately
removed upon receipt of a bunch of email's from sysadmins asking why I
was spamming their users. With Formmail not installed on a system, take
a look at the error log to see how many attempts there are to use it.
Once found, anyone can use it to bounce email off of the server it is
installed on. Spammers love it and wish we would all install it.

Cooordinator, Tularosa Basin Chapter, ABATE of NM; AMA#758681; COBB
'94 1500 Vulcan (now wrecked) :( http://motorcyclefun.org/Dcp_2068c.jpg