Earlier debugging / more detailed dependency error info.

Ben Harper

I'm trying to load an assembly of mine from a C# webforms page, but IIS
fails to load the page because of failed dependencies. My problem is that I
cannot for the life of me discover the dependency that is causing the
failure. I have verified that the assembly in question is loadable by a
small test EXE. Is there any way that I can debug the process at an earlier
stage, or retrieve more helpful error information that simple "The assembly
could not be loaded..."? Any help would be appreciated.. I'm really at a
dead end here.

Thanks,
Ben

This is the output:

Server Error in '/test1' Application.

Configuration Error

Parser Error Message: File or assembly name AlbionNet, or one of its
dependencies, was not found.

Source Error:

Line 196: <add assembly="System.EnterpriseServices, Version=1.0.5000.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
Line 197: <add assembly="System.Web.Mobile, Version=1.0.5000.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"/>
Line 198: <add assembly="*"/>
Line 199: </assemblies>
Line 200: </compilation>

Source File:
c:\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v1.1.4322\Config\machine.config Line:
198

Assembly Load Trace: The following information can be helpful to determine
why the assembly 'AlbionNet' could not be loaded.

=== Pre-bind state information ===
LOG: DisplayName = AlbionNet
(Partial)
LOG: Appbase = file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/test1
LOG: Initial PrivatePath = bin
Calling assembly : (Unknown).
===

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time (private, custom,
partial, or location-based assembly bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: AlbionNet
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/test1/ae111b22/94469ec7/AlbionNet.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Temporary ASP.NET
Files/test1/ae111b22/94469ec7/AlbionNet/AlbionNet.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/Inetpub/wwwroot/test1/bin/AlbionNet.DLL.
LOG: Publisher policy file is not found.
LOG: No redirect found in host configuration file
(C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\aspnet.config).
LOG: Using machine configuration file from
C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\config\machine.config.
LOG: Post-policy reference: AlbionNet, Version=1.0.2012.26049,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=5d2d7c74a8180d17

Guest

Look at dependencies for the assembly in question and not the assembly
itself. Also, look at the permissions on the ASP.NET temporary directory.
Make sure that IUSR (WIndows XP -) or Network Service (Windows 2003) has
access.

A Visual Studio command prompt run of

aspnet_regiis /i

may help, but check perms as well.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!

Ben Harper

Thanks. I've checked what you mentioned, but to no avail. Like I said- a
standalone app which uses the assembly runs fine. It's very odd-- if I
create a mixed-mode dll with a custom entry point, then I get the same
thing. That same mixed-mode dll with the default entry point works ok.