early ecom crit

Discussion in 'HTML' started by mark | r, Sep 27, 2004.

  1. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    mark | r, Sep 27, 2004

  2. mark | r

    SpaceGirl Guest

    mark | r wrote:
    > www.iosilver.co.uk/site/list.htm
    >
    > www.iosilver.co.uk/site/product.htm
    >
    > can y'all please have a look and let me know - DOES IT SELL, is it(does it
    > appear to be) easy to use?
    >
    > mark

    It's nice, but I'd probably reverse out all the colours. All the pale
    colours wash out the silver of the rings - if it were a dark background
    the rings would really stand out. But, I like the design anyway :) It
    seems like it would be easy to use.

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Sep 27, 2004

  3. mark | r

    Jan Faerber Guest

    mark | r wrote:

    > www.iosilver.co.uk/site/list.htm
    >
    > www.iosilver.co.uk/site/product.htm
    >
    > can y'all please have a look and let me know - DOES IT SELL, is it(does it
    > appear to be) easy to use?
    >
    > mark

    Yes, I agree with SpaceGirl.
    I looks really good but to have just a simple white background
    is a little bit 'wanted'. It does not really seem to be
    the exact color. You can do it. But there are many colors.
    This silver-green is very dominant. When you buy jewels
    it is a very indiviual choice.

    The other thing is that you have the prices on the first load.
    'Don't talk about the money!' - If you want to buy a nice ring
    money should not be the problem. It is a matter of taste.

    --
    Jan

    http://213.47.90.11

    Jan Faerber, Sep 27, 2004
  4. mark | r

    Tomas Holm Guest

    Layout is easy and basic.
    The colours are too soft IMO. I imagine your idea was to let the jewlery
    "stand out" and let the rest of the contents stand back, but that does not
    happen.
    Why the "icon" by every category in the meny?

    Another completly different question - will anyone buy jewlery online?

    (I dont seem to be on a good mood today, do I?)

    :)

    /Tomas

    Tomas Holm, Sep 27, 2004
  5. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    ah im trying not to repeat what we did with mad.neue.co.uk

    mark | r, Sep 27, 2004
  6. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    "Tomas Holm" <> wrote in message
    > Layout is easy and basic.
    > The colours are too soft IMO. I imagine your idea was to let the jewlery
    > "stand out" and let the rest of the contents stand back, but that does not
    > happen.

    Yup thats the reason - the images we're going to use a probably going to be
    on bright backgrounds so it shouldnt be so washed out. ?(hopefully)

    > Why the "icon" by every category in the meny?

    why not?

    > Another completly different question - will anyone buy jewlery online?

    according to overture keyword research tool yes they do in their thousands a
    month - even the big players are getting into the online market
    www.geraldonline.co.uk (ratners) and fhinds are big bricks and mortar
    operations that seem to be doing well (gerldonline is online only)

    > (I dont seem to be on a good mood today, do I?)

    cheer up ya mongy bleeder :)

    mark

    mark | r, Sep 27, 2004
  7. mark | r

    Toby Inkster Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > It's nice, but I'd probably reverse out all the colours. All the pale
    > colours wash out the silver of the rings - if it were a dark background
    > the rings would really stand out.

    True. I'm sure most people are familiar with the famous De Beer ads for
    diamonds. (Spoof of one here - http://www.subliminalworld.org/debeer.jpg)

    They use black backgrounds, white serif text and greyscale images (though
    full colour images for the jewelry). It looks classy and makes the jewelry
    stand out.

    Of course, on a computer screen dark backgrounds and light serif text are
    not very legible unless you whack up the font size.

    Perhaps reverse the scheme then and use black serif text on a white
    background, with greyscale images (and colour for the jewelry)? Then
    perhaps the jewelry won't stand out quite as well though. Many jewelers
    seem to add a grey shadow effect to get around that.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Now Playing ~ ./precious_roy_band/one_million_choices.ogg

    Toby Inkster, Sep 27, 2004
  8. mark | r

    Tomas Holm Guest

    > "Tomas Holm" <> wrote in message
    >> Layout is easy and basic.
    >> The colours are too soft IMO. I imagine your idea was to let the jewlery
    >> "stand out" and let the rest of the contents stand back, but that does not
    >> happen.

    > Yup thats the reason - the images we're going to use a probably going to be
    > on bright backgrounds so it shouldnt be so washed out. ?(hopefully)

    Make sure, though...

    >> Why the "icon" by every category in the meny?

    > why not?

    Because I think they are there because the software makes it possible to put
    them there - and not because they serve a purpose. IMO - loose them.

    >> Another completly different question - will anyone buy jewlery online?

    > according to overture keyword research tool yes they do in their thousands a
    > month - even the big players are getting into the online market
    > www.geraldonline.co.uk (ratners) and fhinds are big bricks and mortar
    > operations that seem to be doing well (gerldonline is online only)

    Exciting! Personally I would never buy jewlery online...

    >> (I dont seem to be on a good mood today, do I?)

    > cheer up ya mongy bleeder :)

    Thanks! (Though I understood half of that ;) )

    /Tomas

    Tomas Holm, Sep 27, 2004
  9. "mark | r" <> wrote:

    > www.iosilver.co.uk/site/list.htm

    It might sell if I could read it. :)

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 27, 2004
  10. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    let me guess... you dont like the grey text and you want it to stretch 100%
    across the screen....

    lol

    mark

    mark | r, Sep 27, 2004
  11. "mark | r" <> wrote:

    > let me guess... you dont like the grey text and you want it to stretch
    > 100% across the screen....

    The cyan is just too weak for the menu items at left. Plus, that line at
    the very top of the page should go away. :)

    Everything else is very nice!

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 27, 2004
  12. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    line at the top of the page? - you mean the gap in mozilla? i dont know
    where thats coming from? - any help

    mark | r, Sep 27, 2004
  13. mark | r

    Karl Groves Guest

    "mark | r" <> wrote in message
    > www.iosilver.co.uk/site/list.htm
    >
    > www.iosilver.co.uk/site/product.htm
    >
    > can y'all please have a look and let me know - DOES IT SELL, is it(does it
    > appear to be) easy to use?

    In order to truly know whether it is "easy to use", you need to conduct a
    formal test with participants who fit your user base.
    Just off the top of my head, I will say that there is way too much
    navigation below the fold.

    Your "add to basket" link on the "list" page does not go to the basket and
    does not actually add anything to the basket, but rather goes to a product
    detail page.
    You need to relabel that link as "View detail", or make it actually add the
    product to the basket. Also, I have no idea what the hell those two little
    symbols next to the "add to basket" link are supposed to mean.

    You only have sample listings there right now, but ultimately you'll want to
    make sure you're displaying relevant data that will allow users to compare
    real data to the other listings. In fact, an ability to select multiple
    items for comparison will help quite a bit.

    The interaction flow of adding the product to the basket is absolutely
    critical to converting "browsers" to "buyers". If you don't get that right,
    you will suffer a lot of lost sales. Emulate amazon.com here, because they
    do a great job. We've just finished usability tests on a Fortune 200
    wireless company and their "add to cart" interaction flow was totally
    screwed.

    Good luck!

    Karl

    Karl Groves, Sep 27, 2004
  14. mark | r

    Matt Bostock Guest

    Matt Bostock, Sep 27, 2004
  15. mark | r

    kchayka Guest

    mark | r wrote:

    > www.iosilver.co.uk/site/product.htm
    >
    > can y'all please have a look and let me know - DOES IT SELL

    Hmmm...

    "This breathtaking new work of divine jewellery art radiates with the
    fire of a sparkling solitaire diamond as it shimmers for all eternity at
    the heart of a luxurious nine carat gold fingerband. Each breathtaking
    ring features two tiny rhodium plated footprints beautifully set into
    the graceful shoulders of its sophisticated form."

    Does the overabundance of adjectives really make the product sound more
    attractive? I'm not so sure it does. It tends to turn me off, but then
    I'm probably not in the target market.

    At what point do you stop sounding appealing and start sounding like a
    used-car salesman?

    kchayka, Sep 27, 2004
  16. mark | r

    Neal Guest

    On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 13:36:34 -0500, kchayka <> wrote:

    > mark | r wrote:
    >> www.iosilver.co.uk/site/product.htm

    > This breathtaking new work of divine jewellery art...
    > Each breathtaking ring ...

    I can't breathe! ;)

    Neal, Sep 27, 2004
  17. "mark | r" <> wrote:

    > line at the top of the page? - you mean the gap in mozilla? i dont know
    > where thats coming from? - any help

    "Designer Sterling Silver Jewellery. Contemporary Ring, Bracelett, Earring,
    Necklace & Commissioned Jewellery Items"

    - delete that whole line, it's unnecessary

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 28, 2004
  18. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    actually the first 125 chars are used by the search engines to provide the
    description - so its VERY necessary!

    mark | r, Sep 28, 2004
  19. mark | r

    mark | r Guest

    copy is pinched from a competitor - we're just dumping stuff in for now to
    see how it looks

    mark

    mark | r, Sep 28, 2004
  20. "mark | r" <> wrote:

    > actually the first 125 chars are used by the search engines to provide
    > the description - so its VERY necessary!

    You are in a precarious position - search engine optimization versus visual
    design. I would ditch the words and place them in a META tag. Of course, a
    search engine may ignore the META tags. The actual content of the page will
    serve you better than tweaks, which is what the top line is (a tweak). Go
    with the intent of the search engine. The intent of the search engine is to
    index your page based on actual content, not SPAM SPAM SPAM.

    The Doormouse

    The Doormouse, Sep 28, 2004