Early newbie question

VideoManKS

I have a decent grasp of what all XML can do. Know how to code the
data. And am now learning how to display the data... but something
that bothers me is I dont know how to create the 'content'

Example: I am making a contact page for a charity group. Do i have to
code everyone's stuff? or is there someway to create a simple input
forum?

Joseph Kesselman

Example: I am making a contact page for a charity group. Do i have to
code everyone's stuff? or is there someway to create a simple input
forum?

I presume you mean "form".

If you want to let others edit the data, this really isn't any different
from letting them edit any other representation of the data -- you need
to write application code that accepts the information, gathers it
together, and stores it away safely.

You haven't said what kind of environment you're working in, but I'm
guessing web since you referred to a "page". If so, the simplest
approach is HTML forms to gather the input and send it to the server,
and server code that accepts the submitted data and uses it to update
the contact-page document.

That may be too general to help you much... but getting more specific
requires an article's worth of writing, so I'm going to refer you to the
many articles already on the web which cover that ground.

VideoManKS

My mistake, yes, form. And this is for website work.

I guess for exampe. If I have a webpage for client's contact info. How
is the easiest way to add a new client. Do i have to go into the XML
code and hard code the info in there? creating a basic form page for
me to enter seems smoother. Is this the correct way to approach it?

Joseph Kesselman

I guess for exampe. If I have a webpage for client's contact info. How
is the easiest way to add a new client.

You want to add that information in the server's copy of the document.
That means you need to send the request back to the server.

If you're doing this through a website interface, an HTML form would be
the obvious way to enter the data and submit that request. The server
has to receive that request, extract the data from it, and use that to
update its information.

Whether XML plays any role in this depends on the conventions you're
using to talk to the server, and on how you've stored the information in
the server.