    code everyone's stuff? or is there someway to create a simple input
    forum?

    , Feb 17, 2008

  2. wrote:
    > Example: I am making a contact page for a charity group. Do i have to
    > code everyone's stuff? or is there someway to create a simple input
    > forum?

    I presume you mean "form".

    If you want to let others edit the data, this really isn't any different
    from letting them edit any other representation of the data -- you need
    to write application code that accepts the information, gathers it
    together, and stores it away safely.

    You haven't said what kind of environment you're working in, but I'm
    guessing web since you referred to a "page". If so, the simplest
    approach is HTML forms to gather the input and send it to the server,
    and server code that accepts the submitted data and uses it to update
    the contact-page document.

    That may be too general to help you much... but getting more specific
    requires an article's worth of writing, so I'm going to refer you to the
    many articles already on the web which cover that ground.

    Joseph Kesselman, Feb 19, 2008

    My mistake, yes, form. And this is for website work.

    I guess for exampe. If I have a webpage for client's contact info. How
    is the easiest way to add a new client. Do i have to go into the XML
    code and hard code the info in there? creating a basic form page for
    me to enter seems smoother. Is this the correct way to approach it?

    , Feb 21, 2008
  4. wrote:
    > I guess for exampe. If I have a webpage for client's contact info. How
    > is the easiest way to add a new client.

    You want to add that information in the server's copy of the document.
    That means you need to send the request back to the server.

    If you're doing this through a website interface, an HTML form would be
    the obvious way to enter the data and submit that request. The server
    has to receive that request, extract the data from it, and use that to
    update its information.

    Whether XML plays any role in this depends on the conventions you're
    using to talk to the server, and on how you've stored the information in
    the server.

    Joseph Kesselman, Feb 21, 2008