Ease of use...

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by Kelsey Bjarnason, Jul 4, 2003.

  1. Two little stories, both within the last 24 hours, both demonstrating
    Windows superiour ease-of-use.

    First... FrontPage. You'll note I run Linux. While browsing the wife's
    machine over the LAN, I noticed that in her "My Webs" folder, she had a
    couple of unneeded webs; one belonging to a long-departed client, two
    belonging to our ex-roommate. So I delete them.

    Except...

    Turns out that one of them, at least, is actually one of _her_ sites. So
    why is it called something that suggests it's actually my ex-roomie's?
    Because the last new site done *was* the ex-roomie's site, and FP's
    handling of folder names when creating new sites uses horribly bad
    defaulting *and* makes it less than obvious what you need to do to change
    the name - so she wound up with a folder that, to all appearances, belongs
    to him. Which I promptly deleted - along with 40+Mb of files.

    Ease of use? Well, for system cleanups, I guess.

    Second... a laptop. Runs XP. Its owner, wanting to make it a little
    easier for someone to use for extended periods, plugged a mouse and
    keyboard in. No prob, worked fine.

    Pull the keyboard and mouse, take the laptop back to work, plug it into
    the "port replicator" (aka docking station, one presumes) and... XP won't
    boot - fatal error.

    But they need the notes stored on the machine... fast. About 2 weeks
    back, I loaned him my Knoppix CD. In it goes, up comes the system...
    voila; there's the files. Now they're bringing the machine to me to fix,
    hoefully before 5AM tomorrow, when the machine's owner heads off on
    vacation.

    So... bogus folders, failed boots, important files rendered
    inaccessible... this, we are told, is ease-of-use. Whereas Linux, in the
    guise of Knoppix, boots, works, recovers the files, but Linux sucks, and
    isn't ready for the desktop.

    Oh... and his only issue with Knoppix? That he couldn't modify the files
    on the drive, since the drive is mounted read-only by default. Maybe I'll
    make him a Mandrake install set... :)

    --
    http://rkc.silversapphire.com
    Managed Migration from Windows to Linux

    Kelsey Bjarnason, Jul 4, 2003

    Ignore. Entirely. Was intended for cola, wound up here by accident...

    Kelsey Bjarnason, Jul 4, 2003

  3. Kelsey Bjarnason

    Jack Klein Guest

    Jack Klein, Jul 4, 2003
  4. Kelsey Bjarnason

    John Smith Guest

    "Jack Klein" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:19:15 -0700, Kelsey Bjarnason
    > <> wrote in comp.lang.c:
    >
    > > Two little stories, both within the last 24 hours, both demonstrating
    > > Windows superiour ease-of-use.

    > What does any of this have to do with the C programming language?
    >
    > --
    > Jack Klein
    > Home: http://JK-Technology.Com
    > FAQs for
    > comp.lang.c http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html
    > comp.lang.c++ http://www.parashift.com/c -faq-lite/
    > alt.comp.lang.learn.c-c++ ftp://snurse-l.org/pub/acllc-c /faq

    Which part of 'Ignore' did you fail to undertand?

    John Smith, Jul 4, 2003
  5. On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 10:20:25 +0100, in comp.lang.c , "John Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >"Jack Klein" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 03 Jul 2003 18:19:15 -0700, Kelsey Bjarnason
    >> <> wrote in comp.lang.c:
    >>
    >> > Two little stories, both within the last 24 hours, both demonstrating
    >> > Windows superiour ease-of-use.

    >> What does any of this have to do with the C programming language?
    >>

    >Which part of 'Ignore' did you fail to undertand?

    the part which said "internet is not an instantaneous communication
    medium, its possible for your message to arrive AFTER someone has
    posted a response to an earlier one, even if it was sent before the
    response".

    Don't jump to conclusions.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Jul 4, 2003
  6. [snips]

    On Fri, 04 Jul 2003 10:20:25 +0100, John Smith wrote:

    >> What does any of this have to do with the C programming language?

    > Which part of 'Ignore' did you fail to undertand?

    Presumably the part where my follow-up came _after_ his response, thus
    requiring his having access to a time machine in order to see the followup
    before posting his response.

    Kelsey Bjarnason, Jul 5, 2003