    to different podcast and videocast sites, but I hate doing all the
    typing. Is there software or something that has streamlined it and
    made it easier? Thanks

    David D, Feb 26, 2007

  2. David D

    David D Guest

    BTW, here is the feed.
    http://www.bionicbuddha.com/mp3/bionicbuddha.xml

    David D, Feb 26, 2007

  3. Haven't played with RSS, but there are many articles on it on
    DeveloperWorks (http://www.ibm.com/xml); one of them might be helpful...?

    Joe Kesselman, Feb 26, 2007
  4. David D

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <>, David D
    ('') wrote:

    > Has there become a simple way to do RSS in the past 6 months? I tried
    > the hand-typed way and it seemed too long and tedious for me - time
    > consuming. And I kept getting things wrong in the XML, so I just
    > mostly gave up. I have a bunch of video and mp3's that I want to RSS
    > to different podcast and videocast sites, but I hate doing all the
    > typing. Is there software or something that has streamlined it and
    > made it easier? Thanks

    Has anyone ever hand typed RSS? Don't you generate it off whatever you
    generate the rest of your content off? It must be simpler to write a
    script to generate your RSS than to write your RSS by hand - and if you
    write a script you'll only have to do it once.

    See one nuclear war, you've seen them all.

    Simon Brooke, Feb 26, 2007
  5. David D

    David D Guest

    Yeah, I don;'t know how to write script. That is why I am asking, not
    sure about all of it. I have just cut and paste someone else's xml
    file and gone from there - so that is why I keep making mistake. If
    there was an automatic way of doing it, it would be a godsend.

    David D, Feb 26, 2007
  6. David D

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 26 Feb, 02:36, "David D" <> wrote:
    > Has there become a simple way to do RSS in the past 6 months?

    Evolutionary improvements, nothing radical.

    > I tried the hand-typed way and it seemed too long and tedious for me

    It is. The only people who do this are idiot XML / RDF geeks like me.
    I generate some sites by hand-coding their RSS, then script generating
    the HTML from it! Quite speedy if you grok XML / XSLT already, but
    hardly user-friendly.

    > Is there software or something that has streamlined it and made it easier?

    Almost any blog software. I'm not up with this week's favourites, but
    any credible blog will spit out RSS 2.0, and there should be plenty
    that also do the extra podcast markup.

    I can't imagine doing it by generating "a site" in HTML, then querying
    it to generate an RSS podcast. I do this for plain HTML sites to get a
    "most recent updates" RSS feed from their embedded metadata, but tht
    doesn't need the sophisitication of podcast markup.

    Andy Dingley, Feb 26, 2007
  7. David D

    Peter Flynn Guest

    David D wrote:
    > Yeah, I don;'t know how to write script.

    OK, first thing: go learn how to write scripts.
    This is pretty much essential for any information-processing task:
    without it you'll have to hand-edit everything, as you've discovered.

    In the case of RSS, the normal expectation is that it gets generated
    as part of the software which you use to update a web site. In your
    case, the assumption would be that you have your videos and mp3s listed
    in some kind of database, and that you have a report-generator which
    creates the HTML page that you publish, complete with links.

    If you're doing it entirely by hand, now is a good time to rethink this
    method, and have a look at automating it. PHP is one possibility, as
    are the various Unix shell languages, or JSP, or ASP; or a purely XML
    based system such as AxKit or Cocoon (probably overkill for this). Or
    just install a blogging system and use that (they all generate RSS).

    ///Peter
    --
    XML FAQ: http://xml.silmaril.ie/

    Peter Flynn, Mar 4, 2007