Easiest Book/Software For Learning HTML?

W. D. Allen Sr.

Would appreciate some suggestions on the easiest book and/or software
combination for learning HTML for a non-programmer.

Thanks.

W. D. Allen

end

Thomas Jespersen

Would appreciate some suggestions on the easiest book and/or software
combination for learning HTML for a non-programmer.

I have never read any books about html, I learn plenty from newsgroups and
www.w3.org, but it might be a bit hard if you are not used to it. I
know good about O'Reilly though and I heard good about this book:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/html5/

As for editor, you probably want a simple text-editor, like notepad or
better an editor with syntax-highlighting which will make your html-code
stand out. I come from linux so I can't recommend anything for Windows or
OS X.

If you use linux or a unix variant you could check out Bluefish:
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/index.html

Hmm, now that I look at bluefish screenshots I see that there are
screenshot from both Windows and Mac so it might even be an option if you
come from those platforms.

Morgan

Try reading Thomas Powell's XHTML/HTML complete referance, it should be
in amazon somewhere. I found it very good, consise but detailed
through and through,also its appendixes are up to date and useful
It covers XHTML,HTML, the relevant bits of CSS that will actually be
standarized and work as well as some XML and some JavaScript scripts
for you to use.
Link to it :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...102-3372055-5433751?v=glance&s=books&n=507846
Also its usually less expensive that the OReilly books

As for software, I recommend notepad in windows, its very simple and
effective, the bell and whistles will only get in the way of your
coding if you use something different. That and a couple of recent and
past popular browsers in which to view your code and you are on your
way!

Jonathan N. Little

Thomas Jespersen wrote:
As for editor, you probably want a simple text-editor, like notepad or
better an editor with syntax-highlighting which will make your html-code
stand out. I come from linux so I can't recommend anything for Windows or
OS X.
<snip>

http://www.crimsoneditor.com/
Homepage of Crimson Editor - Free Text Editor, Html Editor, Programmers
Editor for Windows

SpaceGirl

W. D. Allen Sr. said:
Would appreciate some suggestions on the easiest book and/or software
combination for learning HTML for a non-programmer.

Thanks.

W. D. Allen

Not a book, but a place: http://www.w3schools.com. You can learn
everything from the very basics down to pretty complex programming with
easy to use examples and walk-throughs. The site covers all of the web
core languages (HTML, CSS, JS, ASP, PHP, XML, SQL) so is a good place to
add to your bookmarks. Even now I still use it for reference and I've
been build commercial sites since I was a wee kiddy!

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

# this post (c) Miranda Thomas 2005
# explicitly no permission given to Forum4Designers
# to duplicate this post.

WD10

Thomas Jespersen said:
I have never read any books about html, I learn plenty from newsgroups and
www.w3.org, but it might be a bit hard if you are not used to it. I
know good about O'Reilly though and I heard good about this book:
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/html5/

As for editor, you probably want a simple text-editor, like notepad or
better an editor with syntax-highlighting which will make your html-code
stand out. I come from linux so I can't recommend anything for Windows or
OS X.

HTML Kit is a good free program for Windows--lots of extensions.
http://www.chami.com/htmlkit/

Also jEdit is better than Notepad and will run on Windows (and Linux, Mac,
etc.).
http://www.jedit.org

I keep a list of free tools you can get for web design on the following
page:
http://tips.webdesign10.com/web-design-intro.htm
It includes links to Filezilla free FTP program, the GIMP -- a free graphics
program (like Photoshop), a decent free hosting company with no-ads, and
some other useful free tools to get started with. There is also a page
about the Firefox Web Developer Toolbar which is very useful for web
design...