Easiest colors to read

uluda

I'm wondering about the best combination of colors for a long reading.

When I look at black over white, it hurts my eyes on LCD screen.

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/kjvdefns.htm

Black over that color seems to be much easier to read.

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/2_heaven.htm

What is optimal?

Also, somewhere I've read that a long lines are difficult to read as
well, like in these samples and a static column would restrain the
reader from painful width, while he is not aware, that wide text is much
harder to read.

Any work exists on the net in this subject?

So far could I couldn't find any serious articles.

TIA

Neredbojias

I'm wondering about the best combination of colors for a long
reading.

When I look at black over white, it hurts my eyes on LCD screen.

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/kjvdefns.htm

Black over that color seems to be much easier to read.

http://www.jesus-is-lord.com/2_heaven.htm

What is optimal?

Also, somewhere I've read that a long lines are difficult to read as
well, like in these samples and a static column would restrain the
reader from painful width, while he is not aware, that wide text is
much harder to read.

Any work exists on the net in this subject?

So far could I couldn't find any serious articles.

Well, I'm sure there are some, but they are superfluous, anyway. Try
changing the values of both the background and the text until you see
something that is less-harsh to the eye.

C A Upsdell

uluda said:
I'm wondering about the best combination of colors for a long reading.

When I look at black over white, it hurts my eyes on LCD screen.

What is optimal?

Different people may prefer different combinations. Why not offer a
choice, e.g. using Alternate Stylesheets?

Whatever combination you use, text should be black on white when printed.
Also, somewhere I've read that a long lines are difficult to read as
well, like in these samples and a static column would restrain the
reader from painful width, while he is not aware, that wide text is much
harder to read.

Lines can be harder to read if they are either too short or too long,
but people are very adaptable and comfortably read a wide range of line
widths. I often set column widths to a maximum of 50-55 em units.

"Static column": you have to be careful with this. If by this you mean
a column with a fixed width measured in pixels, this can be a problem,
because lines will contain less text for people who need larger fonts,
and more text for people who prefer smaller fonts.