Easiest way to do FTP without the module?

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by John Doe, Sep 5, 2004.

  1. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    I am actually doing sftp (secure FTP) and have given up trying to
    build the sftp perl module on AIX; it is a lost cause. Net-FTP would
    be a breeze, but no unencrypted connection is allowed. :-(

    I can open an sftp session manually, so that is working. I am
    wondering what would be the easiest way to run it from perl.
    (Expect.pm? <--have never used. R. Schwartz has said that Expect.pm
    is often doing it the hard way.) Does anyone know another CPAN module
    that could apply?

    I want to be able to list files in the sftp session, store that list
    o' files in an array for processing, fetch and remove some of the
    files, etc.

    Any suggestions?

    Off topic, but related: Does anyone know where to find more info on
    using the "-b batchfile" option of sftp mentioned on the sftp man
    page?

    John Doe, Sep 5, 2004

  2. John Doe wrote:

    > I am actually doing sftp (secure FTP) and have given up trying to
    > build the sftp perl module on AIX; it is a lost cause. Net-FTP would
    > be a breeze, but no unencrypted connection is allowed. :-(
    > \

    An alternative is to use scp (secure copy) instead. Its part of the ssh
    suite.

    gtoomey

    Gregory Toomey, Sep 5, 2004

  3. John Doe

    ChrisO Guest

    John Doe wrote:

    > I am actually doing sftp (secure FTP) and have given up trying to
    > build the sftp perl module on AIX; it is a lost cause. Net-FTP would
    > be a breeze, but no unencrypted connection is allowed. :-(
    >
    > I can open an sftp session manually, so that is working. I am
    > wondering what would be the easiest way to run it from perl.
    > (Expect.pm? <--have never used. R. Schwartz has said that Expect.pm
    > is often doing it the hard way.) Does anyone know another CPAN module
    > that could apply?
    >
    > I want to be able to list files in the sftp session, store that list
    > o' files in an array for processing, fetch and remove some of the
    > files, etc.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > Off topic, but related: Does anyone know where to find more info on
    > using the "-b batchfile" option of sftp mentioned on the sftp man
    > page?

    I once had to write a large Perl script running on Windows NT 4.0 that
    did A LOT of FTP'ing using a Perl that didn't have Net::FTP available.
    I ended up writing my own FTP module (called NTFTP.pm) that duplicated
    most of the methods in Net::FTP, providing a consistent interface.

    The underpinnings were highly inefficient, but it worked (using "manual
    FTP command line"; I hoped the inefficiencies would highlight my demand
    to the company at the time that we get on a more recent and better
    version of ASPN.) You are welcome to a copy if you think it would
    provide you with any ideas for something similar (eg. SFTP.pm). Reply
    here with a spam-proof, obsfucated email address and I can send it to you.

    -ceo

    ChrisO, Sep 6, 2004