Easter

Bergamot

Chris said:
On 2008-03-12, Blinky the Shark wrote:

Is it possible that there are circumstances under which the page
actually works?

I don't think so. It's bad enough as is, but is completely unusable with
CSS disabled, too. Sure, it stops all the overlaps, but then nothing is
in the correct order - pictures and associated text can be miles apart.

It's a great example of the evils of absolute positioning, and the evils
of tools like yahoo's site builder. homestead.com is even worse, IMO.

kewl :)

mrcakey

Bergamot said:
I don't think so. It's bad enough as is, but is completely unusable with
CSS disabled, too. Sure, it stops all the overlaps, but then nothing is
in the correct order - pictures and associated text can be miles apart.

It's a great example of the evils of absolute positioning, and the evils
of tools like yahoo's site builder. homestead.com is even worse, IMO.

kewl :)

All those arguments we've been having about fixed versus liquid layout I
think could have been stopped in an instant with this URL! I know I would
have shut up anyway!

That said, in Firefox at normal font size I think it's got a "so ugly it's
beautiful" kind of charm about it.

+mrcakey

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Ah, that explains why it doesn't look so bad with iCab, which doesn't
pay attention to nested <big> elements.

Athel Cornish-Bowden

Well 'course, and therein lies much of its charisma. Visual art can take
on unusual and unexpected forms. Perhaps the technique is, uh, too subtle
for your tastes.

"subtle" is not the word that springs to mind!

Neredbojias

"subtle" is not the word that springs to mind!

<grin>

True, but you have to keep in mind that when people get older like a lot of
the foggies here, "subtle" expands in both scope and degree. This may, of
course, be a simply natural response and compensation for other things
which chronologically deflate in many.

Blinky the Shark

John said:
Ah, I see. Quite nasty.

I can reproduce that look here, too. I just have to scroll up the text

I get something like that without any tweaking; I trust F.A. did, too.
size (even one notch) from the too-small-but-kewl size the site assumes
I'm using. I hadn't upsized before because I wasn't actually trying to
*read* the damn page.

I wonder if he has a contact link. No, I'm NOT going to try to find it.
:)

Blinky the Shark

mrcakey said:
That's quite spectacular. Not the ugliest, but it doens't inspire me to
give them my credit card details. Maybe my credit card from 1994, which
appears to be where their store is located...

<chuckle>

dorayme

That said, in Firefox at normal font size I think it's got a "so ugly it's
beautiful" kind of charm about it.

It is just straight out beautiful, not just charming. It is
especially lovely because it has the MD-500 Helicopter
Dobbel-Rotor which is very stable in flight. The Hughes 300 is
more challenging to fly but rewarding when you get the knack.
Don't buy the Apache until you have experience. They are heavy,
expensive and you can do your dough in the first minutes with a
bad crash.

Toby A Inkster

Blinky said:
This one is a huge download; wait for it if you're on a slow connection;
it's worth it:

http://www.arngren.net/

Holy fuckaroni!

I can just imagine the business owner saying, "I don't want to confuse our
customers with multiple pages; list all our products on our front page,
with images. But I don't want to have to scroll down page after page to
see it all; try to fit it all into three screen-fulls.

"No, I won't reduce our product range."

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 44 days, 16:48.]

The Semantic Web
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2008/03/09/sw/