Easy CSS Question but I don't get it!!

Luigi Donatello Asero

"dorayme" <[email protected]> skrev i
meddelandet
What do you want to know? How to get to that specific street?

I would like to know
in which town this street is..
and on which planet....

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php

Luigi Donatello Asero

Luigi Donatello Asero said:
"dorayme" <[email protected]> skrev i
meddelandet

I would like to know
in which town this street is..
and on which planet....

May I speak Esperanto on that planet?

--
Luigi Donatello Asero
https://www.scaiecat-spa-gigi.com/sv/faktaomitalien.php
Ð¡ÐµÐ³Ð¾Ð´Ð½Ñ Ñреда 25 ÑÐ½Ð²Ð°Ñ€Ñ 2006
Tänään on keskiviikko, 25. tammikuuta 2006
今天二零零六年一月二å五日
星期三

Blinky the Shark

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:03:10 +1100, dorayme wrote:

Something's mysteriously rising right now, but that has to do with that
magazine I brought home this afternoon...

dorayme

Blinky the Shark said:
On Wed, 25 Jan 2006 12:03:10 +1100, dorayme wrote:

Something's mysteriously rising right now, but that has to do with that
magazine I brought home this afternoon...

Oy! I did not say this!

dorayme

What do you want to know? How to get to that specific street?

I would like to know
on which planet....[/QUOTE]

You do not know what planet we are on about?

This is most interesting Luigi. Here we all are - boys, girls,
creatures - talking about giving context to postings, what to
quote and what not to quote. We are talking about Jose maybe
returning to a place his younger self's girlfriend's sister (was
it?) mentioned.

Bertrand Russell had a habit of saying quite general things but
adding, I forget if it was in brackets, "except in China"

I am reminded of this as I write my next great work 'How to Quote
on Newsgroups" because I find that I am also making sweeping
rough rules and statements. Except that instead of "except in
China", I am putting "Except on luigi.html"

Blinky the Shark

Oy! I did not say this!

Of course you didn't, and the attribution isn't saying you did.
Attributions have one less ">" than what they're attributing, by their
very nature.

"Luigi Donatello Asero" <[email protected]> wrote:
Except that instead of "except in
China", I am putting "Except on luigi.html"

Which is your favourite film and why?

--

Blinky the Shark said:
Of course you didn't, and the attribution isn't saying you did.
Attributions have one less ">" than what they're attributing, by their
very nature.

Mark, can you please sort this one out. Look at the posts
concerned and judge the situation. And tell me and Blinky what
you find. All you have to do is count 'greater than' signs, or
lines (my MT_Newswatcher has these but other mail and newsgroup
ones like Mozilla programs have neat coloured lines and fadings
to keep track rather than the >s) and follow the logic. You are a
young man, at the very height of your powers, objective, a nice
guy as attested lately and can do it. And you are not that busy
right now according to my sources...

Jose

All you have to do is count 'greater than' signs,

.... and check to see whether or not it's a Netscape post. For some
reason, Netscape adds extra carets (carats? carrots?? :) when quoting
more than one line. I have to take them out by hand.

You'd think by this time they'd get it right.

Jose

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jose
For some
reason, Netscape adds extra carets (carats? carrots?? :) when quoting
more than one line. I have to take them out by hand.

You'd think by this time they'd get it right.

The version you're using is nearly 18 months old - they quite possibly
have got it right by now. :)

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
Mark, can you please sort this one out. Look at the posts
concerned and judge the situation. And tell me and Blinky what
you find.

You're both right. :)
All you have to do is count 'greater than' signs,

No '>'s in front of what Blinky wrote, so he's right - it wasn't a
quote. And there was nothing in his post except that one paragraph. But
you are also right - he should not have included the attribution line
(or even better should have quoted some of what you wrote). And since he
wouldn't be the first to quote someone without adding greater than signs
(or some other symbol) in front of the quoted text, I think you're a bit
ahead on this one, dorayme.

Jose

The version you're using is nearly 18 months old - they quite possibly
have got it right by now. :)

Yes, they got it right. They quit. 7.2 is the last Netscape to support
newsgroups.

Jose

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jose

The version you're using is nearly 18 months old - they quite
possibly have got it right by now. :)

Thunderbird 1.5 and the latest Seamonkey suite have the bugfix, but
new versions of Netscape are browser-only, with no mail/news. (I guess
removing mail/news could be considered a bugfix too. ;)

marksisson

And how would one know to *which* "gestalt" one is replying if nothing
Of course not, wouldn't you assume that it is a reference to all of
it's predecessors? I would. That's exactly the effect I intended to
have in my un-quoted post above.
Agree.

So you just pick a random post from a thread and press reply?

When appropriate I prefer this as well. If the commentary requires
context then by all means use quotes. But if doesn't, it's a waste of
bits and readers' time.

marksisson

And how would one know to *which* "gestalt" one is replying if nothing
Of course not, wouldn't you assume that it is a reference to all of
it's predecessors? I would. That's exactly the effect I intended to
have in my un-quoted post above.
Agree.

So you just pick a random post from a thread and press reply?

When appropriate I prefer this as well. If the commentary requires
context then by all means use quotes. But if doesn't, it's a waste of
bits and readers' time.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, Jose
Yes, they got it right. They quit. 7.2 is the last Netscape to support
newsgroups.

Fair enough. I haven't really used Netscape since version 4. I tried 6
when it first came out, but it was ridiculously slow. Have been using
Mozilla (and then Firefox/Thunderbird) since then.

Never used it for newsgroups anyway. :)

John Salerno

Can someone shed some light on why the below displays in green in my
browser? Doesn't the anchor's class override its parent div tag's
class???

TEST.HTM
===================
<head>
<link rel='stylesheet' href='TestStyles.css' type='text/css'>
</head>
<a class="navselected" href="abc.htm">Why not blue?</a>

TESTSTYLES.CSS
===================
.navmain A { color: green; }
.navselected { color: blue; }

Ok, I didn't read through this whole thread, so I don't know if an
answer has been given yet, but I thought this might be a fun exercise to
figure out. I think this would work, but is it a good idea to create
rules like this that basically conflict with each other (or are on equal
footing, and so must be decided based on their order), or is this how it
is often done?

..navmain a {color: green; }
a.navselected { color: blue; }

Of course, this assumes that .navselected is only attributed to <a>
elements, I think.

Blinky the Shark

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme

You're both right. :)

No '>'s in front of what Blinky wrote, so he's right - it wasn't a quote.
And there was nothing in his post except that one paragraph. But you are
also right - he should not have included the attribution line (or even
better should have quoted some of what you wrote). And since he wouldn't
be the first to quote someone without adding greater than signs (or some
other symbol) in front of the quoted text, I think you're a bit ahead on
this one, dorayme.

That attribution line was an accident, yes. My bad, on that. But since
the gt count shows that it wasn't pointing to any of dorayme's text, it
doesn't matter. Sloppy, yes -- I was going for not only the humor of my
response, but within that also the NO QUOTING idea that the thread had
been involved with. It was an attempt to parody the "gestalt" response
idea. (I *think* that was going on in this thread, anyway.) The
attribution *to nothing* was sloppy but only confusing to someone who
doesn't understand attribution in general. So far, that seems to be
limted to dorayme.

dorayme

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme

You're both right. :)

Thank you for looking at it. And everything, Mark old son. But I
think the situation is worse than you make out. Personally I
don't mind lewd attributions even if they are false. But there
has been a development: I have had the local Catholic priest, the
Anglican rector and the Rabbi knock on my door complaining
furiously and searching my house for magazines.

I tried to explain to them and showed them the posts on my
screen. They screamed at me that the posts showed clearly I had
said what seemed to be attributed to me. I said what news client
did they use but they brushed such things aside as attempts to
distract them with science.

You have put me in a very awkward position Blinky!

See how bad it looks when you actually face the reality at
http://dorayme.150m.com/test/blinky.html

I sidetracked these religious leaders by telling them the one
about about the three friends, a Catholic priest, an Anglican
rector and a Rabbi...

They rolled out in paroxysms of laughter and forgot about it, (I
noticed that the Rabbi had a few of my Chess magazines in his
mits. He plays, you see! But I think it was just an oversight!)
Anyway, they were headed to the pub but I think I will give the
local a miss for tonight just in case....