    </frameset>

    Peter
    Peter Schaurer, May 28, 2005

  2. Peter Schaurer

    Els Guest

    Peter Schaurer wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > Why does the following example not work ? (firefox 1.0.2)
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
    > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    > <head>
    > <title>Show me Frames</title>
    > </head>
    > <frameset cols="40%,60%*">
    > bla
    > <frameset rows="20%,80%">
    > bla
    > </frameset>
    > </frameset>
    >
    > Peter

    Because there are no frames.
    A frameset consists of frames.
    It is possible to have only framesets in a frameset, but the most
    inner frameset will need frames.
    Also, there is no 'bla' afaik inside a frameset.
    The content of a frame is really the content of another html page,
    which is called by the frame:
    <frame src="somepage.html">

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, May 28, 2005

  3. Peter Schaurer

    mscir Guest

    mscir, May 28, 2005
  4. In article <d7ankd$39b$04$-online.com>,
    says...
    > Hello
    >
    > Why does the following example not work ? (firefox 1.0.2)
    >
    > <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
    > "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">
    > <head>
    > <title>Show me Frames</title>
    > </head>
    > <frameset cols="40%,60%*">
    > bla
    > <frameset rows="20%,80%">
    > bla
    > </frameset>
    > </frameset>

    It's completely wrong. Where are your <frame> elements? Where did you
    find that code?

    --
    Hywel

    Kill the Crazy Frog
    http://www.petitiononline.com/crzyfrg/
    Hywel Jenkins, May 28, 2005
  5. Peter Schaurer

    dorayme Guest

    > From: "Peter Schaurer" <>

    > Why does the following example not work ? (firefox 1.0.2)
    >
    > <frameset cols="40%,60%*">

    100% is taken, what is the * for?

    If you want a third column, you would need to put in a comma and leave room
    for some width. I don't think browsers are philosophical enough to say: "Ah,
    a third column of no width, interesting, I will display none but I *know* it
    is *not* there" :)

    If you want the second col to take up what is left after the first, leave
    out the 60%

    dorayme
    dorayme, May 29, 2005
  6. Peter Schaurer

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Previously in alt.html, mscir <> said:

    > I'd read a few online frameset tutorials to familiarize yourself with
    > frameset basics:

    Then read a few things about why frames are a bad idea in the first
    place:

    http://www.htmlhelp.com/design/frames/whatswrong.html
    http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses