Easy Question ;-) How to render a html page in a table cell of an ASP.NET page

SteveM

I am sure this is an easy question, but being relatively new to ASP.NET
programming, I can not quite grasp what I need to accomplish what I
need to do.
What I have is a word document that is rendered as a page (or actualy a
part of a page) that is editiable. To do this I let the user download
the document, edit it and then upload it back to the site. Then at
Page_Open, I convert the .doc file to an html and render it back to the
page... that is the way it supposed to work. I am falling down on the
part on how to render the html back to the cell of table (used for
formatting) on my ASP.NET page. I can find no controls that allow you
to display another html page. I have tried putting it into a custom
control, but then I am faced with scroll bars and it doesnt have the
look and feel of a normal HTML (sizing by sizing the page).

So in a nutshell what I want to be able to do is take page a (which is
an html converted document) and display it in a content section in a
table cell of a master page... thats all simple huh?

Thanks for any help or pointers you can give me
-SteveM

Steve B.

Do you have the control of the generated html document ? In other words, is
it possible to insert into your chain an xml format ...
Word -> xml -> html in your first app,
Word -> xml -> table cell inner html in your second app...

An other solution could be to use the WebClient class.

WebClient wc = new WebClient();

string result = wc.DownloadData();

Regex r = new Regex(@"\<body\>(?<body>.*)\</body\>",
RegexOptions.IgnoreCase); // not sur of the syntax

string body = r.Match("result").Group["body"].Value;

yourTable.Controls.Add(new Literal(body));

The idea is to capture the body of the remote page using regex, and to
render the captured content to your page.

HTH

SteveM

Eliyahu,

I created a custom control based on an IFrame but because it is a frame
it is bounded and
requires me to either have scroll bars are determine ahead of time the
size to make the frame. I could find no where where it would let me
bind the frame to the side of the cell itself
and thus make it adjustable as the page grows or shrinks (the way a
normal HTML page will do). Do you know a way to do this?

Thanks
-Steve

Eliyahu said:
Use an iframe.

--
Eliyahu Goldin,
Software Developer & Consultant

SteveM said:
[...]

I use the SaveAs option with a HTML format to convert the Word document
to HTML
There is also an XML format, but I fail to see what that buys me?
(Perhaps I do not fully understand the relationship here or how XML
renders itself)

The second solution is something I was toying with, capturing the HTML
from the page and writing it into my aspx file in the cell location, is
that what you are getting at?
I will look up WebClient... I have never used this class before
Thanks
-SteveM

SteveM said:
[...]

John Timney \(MVP\)

You have to use an iframe, as a whole html page cotnains head. body etc and
you cant have that in a table cell as it will create invalid html. Also, if
you try to extract just the body, and features of the page are using
javascript or CSS injected into the head then you will lose its
functionality or its style.

Regards

John Timney (MVP)
VISIT MY WEBSITE:
http://www.johntimney.com
http://www.johntimney.com/blog

SteveM

John,
So if I have an IFrame based custom control, I am assuming that I can
put that in a
table cell?

IFrame's are really new to me, do you have any good resources where I
can see an example at least similiar to what i want to do ( I seem to
learn by example a lot faster ;-) )

Thanks
-Steve

John Timney \(MVP\)

SteveM said:
John,
So if I have an IFrame based custom control, I am assuming that I can
put that in a
table cell?

Dont see why not - you'll need to work out how to style it based on your
current page dimensions though if you expect it to shrink and grow as your
page dynamically resizes

http://harishmvp.blogspot.com/2005/04/loading-pages-in-iframe-dynamically.html