    I'm aware that I could write a custom transformation for each, but I
    was looking for a simple drag and drop type of UI that allowed me to
    associate the input and output fields.
    Jim Mitten, Jan 28, 2008

  2. Jim Mitten

    Pavel Lepin Guest

    Jim Mitten <> wrote in
    <>:
    > My source data is in XML. I want to transform the source
    > into four different XML files. Each of the four outputs
    > use a different name space and schema. There are many
    > similarities, but some use different field names for the
    > same field. Some allow multiples of a field, others do
    > not. Some group fields, others don't. Not all fields are
    > in all output files.
    >
    > I'm aware that I could write a custom transformation for
    > each...

    You'll have to write a custom transformation. Deal with it.

    > ...but I was looking for a simple drag and drop type of
    > UI that allowed me to associate the input and output
    > fields.

    Simple? Say, what would dragging-and-dropping an xs:element
    from your source schema to an xs:element in your target
    schema do?

    Writing transformations for the class of problems
    this "simple drag-and-drop" tool would be able to solve is
    trivial. If your transformations are non-trivial, "simple
    drag-and-drop" tool won't help you. If you don't feel
    you're up to the task of writing your transformations, I
    recommend hiring an expert. Experts, as a rule of the
    thumb, are worth their money. Snake oils aren't.

    --
    ....also, I submit that we all must honourably commit seppuku
    right now rather than serve the Dark Side by producing the
    Pavel Lepin, Jan 29, 2008

  3. Jim Mitten wrote:
    > was looking for a simple drag and drop type of UI that allowed me to
    > associate the input and output fields.

    There have been a number of attempts to do "query by example" frameworks
    for XSLT/XQuery. I haven't used them, so I can't advise you beyond
    suggesting that you search the web for that phase (or its abberviation,
    QBE) combined with the keyword XSLT and see what turns up.

    Or learn to write stylesheets by hand.

    Joseph Kesselman, Jan 29, 2008
  4. Actually, what you may want to look at is the "pull" style of
    transformation writing, where the XSLT is essentially just the output
    document with XSLT synax at the points where you need to retrieve data
    from the source document. This isn't commonly used because it has
    significant limitations in expressivity, but if all you want is basic
    fill-in-the-blank kinds of processing (which is all drag-and-drop would
    do for you), it may be more straightforward.

    Joseph Kesselman, Jan 29, 2008