Easy way to play single musical notes in Python

James Harris

Is there a simple way to play musical notes in Python? Something like

voice.play("c4")

to play C in octave 4 would be ideal. I included a voice parameter as
I'd like to play proper notes, not just beeps. This is for recognition
of pitch. For example, the program plays a note and the user tries to
identify the note played.

There are many options at

http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonInMusic

but which to choose? They generally seem too complex. I'm looking for
something really basic. It would help if it was cross platform and
didn't need Tkinter as the snack library does. I presume pure Python
is not possible.

Any suggestions?

James

James Harris

Is there a simple way to play musical notes in Python? Something like

  voice.play("c4")

to play C in octave 4 would be ideal. I included a voice parameter as
I'd like to play proper notes, not just beeps. This is for recognition
of pitch. For example, the program plays a note and the user tries to
identify the note played.

There are many options at

 http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonInMusic

but which to choose? They generally seem too complex. I'm looking for
something really basic. It would help if it was cross platform and
didn't need Tkinter as the snack library does. I presume pure Python
is not possible.

Any suggestions?

Oh, it would be OK if the system allowed numeric pitches such as

voice.play(440)

to play a note at 440 Hertz.

Anything like the above should be good enough.

James

Is there a simple way to play musical notes in Python? Something like
  voice.play("c4")

Uhh, tksnack is pretty easy to use IMO, see this link...
http://www.daniweb.com/code/snippet216655.html

No python does not have access to cross platform soundcard
capabilities built into the language. I think there is a wrapper for
csound somewhere. But there are many 3rd party modules that do have
capabilities to some extent. You could make calls to the underlying OS
machinery and there is the winsound module (not exactly what you want
though). Just look over this Google splooge...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1CHMI_enUS340US340&q=Python+sound&aq=f&oq=&aqi=g10

James Harris

Uhh, tksnack is pretty easy to use IMO, see this link... http://www.daniweb.com/code/snippet216655.html

No python does not have access to cross platform soundcard
capabilities built into the language. I think there is a wrapper for
csound somewhere. But there are many 3rd party modules that do have
capabilities to some extent. You could make calls to the underlying OS
machinery and there is the winsound module (not exactly what you want
though). Just look over this Google splooge...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&rlz=1C1CHMI_enUS340US340&q=Python+...

As I say I was hoping to avoid tk. Thanks for the feedback though. If
nothing else is suggested I'll have to try snack.

James