Easy Way To Read / Write Files on Website?

Nonee

Howdy,

I am trying to write a VERY simple questbook type program but I
rather not have to use sql or anything complicated. I am trying to
set it up so I can have multiple guestbooks that I can basically copy
the directory, change the title of the guestbook, upload and go. I
know it is possible with php but I don't have apache (I had set it up
once but I rather not go that complicated) or xp pro or IIS (which I
don't believe handles php anyway) so testing the script is a pain. I
know a tad bit of php (which I could learn more), lots of javascript,
and I do know sql, etc, but again I want to make this as simple as
possible.

Any ideas???

Thanks!!!

Josh

hywel.jenkins

Nonee said:
Howdy,

I am trying to write a VERY simple questbook type program but I
rather not have to use sql or anything complicated. I am trying to
set it up so I can have multiple guestbooks that I can basically copy
the directory, change the title of the guestbook, upload and go. I
know it is possible with php but I don't have apache (I had set it up
once but I rather not go that complicated) or xp pro or IIS (which I
don't believe handles php anyway) so testing the script is a pain. I
know a tad bit of php (which I could learn more), lots of javascript,
and I do know sql, etc, but again I want to make this as simple as
possible.

Any ideas???

Install MySQL, PHP and Apache, then download the PHP documentation. My
view is that your guestbook will become a PITA to maintain interms of
inserting and deleting items if you use a flat-text file.

Nonee

But the problem is I am doing this for a client and they have
absolutely no idea on how to set up a sql table etc etc. That is why
I need it simple. I need the guestbook to be a basic flat-text file.
Nothing fancy what so ever.

I do appreciate your help on the apache setup though. I will probably
have to set it up since I have to test my php files.

Any other ideas?

Manchild

Nonee said:
But the problem is I am doing this for a client and they have
absolutely no idea on how to set up a sql table etc etc. That is why
I need it simple. I need the guestbook to be a basic flat-text file.
Nothing fancy what so ever.

I do appreciate your help on the apache setup though. I will probably
have to set it up since I have to test my php files.

Any other ideas?

Yeah - bite the bullet and use the SQL. Avoiding it might seem easier
but working with text files is a pain in the butt. Besides if you are
doing it for a client, you should probably set the scripts up for them
as well -- its often easier than supporting them while they struggle
through.

One thing I have learned in all my years as a coder/programmer/hacker is
that every shortcut and cheap and dirty solution comes back to bite you
in the ass hard.

James