Easy web session module with Python?

Johnathan Doe

Hi, I'm looking for an easy way to do web development with Python
(session handling a-la ASP/JSP/PHP, that kind of thing). I've looked at
PythonWeb.org but it has bugs because it's not tested on UNIX platforms
it seems (I've created some patches and sent them to the author), and a
quick browse through PyPI in the mature/stable packages doesn't reveal
much hope, unless I've missed something. I've googled for session
handling with Python, and it seems something called "pso" would be ok,
but that is only mod_python as far as I know, and I may need something
that works with cgi only hosts.

I could write my own I suppose, but surely someone has done this before?
Thanks for any tips!

Johnathan

Thomas Guettler

Am Thu, 14 Oct 2004 13:50:09 +1000 schrieb Johnathan Doe:
Hi, I'm looking for an easy way to do web development with Python
(session handling a-la ASP/JSP/PHP, that kind of thing). I've looked at
PythonWeb.org but it has bugs because it's not tested on UNIX platforms
it seems (I've created some patches and sent them to the author), and a
quick browse through PyPI in the mature/stable packages doesn't reveal
much hope, unless I've missed something. I've googled for session
handling with Python, and it seems something called "pso" would be ok,
but that is only mod_python as far as I know, and I may need something
that works with cgi only hosts.

Hi,

You can use quixote. Use SessionPublisher. You need
a mapping to store the data. A very simple but useable mapping
is DirMapping which is in session_demo.cgi.

This should work with every webserver, even with CGIHTTPServer from the
standard library.

HTH,
Thomas

Istvan Albert

Johnathan said:
I could write my own I suppose, but surely someone has done this before?

Session management is usually delivered as part of the
application server. Zope, Webware, CherryPy, Quixote,
Snakelets all have session management integrated into
them.

Standalone session modules are probably less used
nowadays, here is one

http://jonpy.sourceforge.net/session.html

Istvan.

Alan Kennedy

[Johnathan Doe]
Hi, I'm looking for an easy way to do web development with Python
(session handling a-la ASP/JSP/PHP, that kind of thing). I've looked at
PythonWeb.org but it has bugs because it's not tested on UNIX platforms
it seems (I've created some patches and sent them to the author), and a
quick browse through PyPI in the mature/stable packages doesn't reveal
much hope, unless I've missed something. I've googled for session
handling with Python, and it seems something called "pso" would be ok,
but that is only mod_python as far as I know, and I may need something
that works with cgi only hosts.

Ah, the perennial problems with python web software. You find something
that is close to what you need, but it doesn't work on the platform or
server you want, or it is so deeply embedded in some given framework
that it not reusable outside that framework without a total rewrite.
I could write my own I suppose, but surely someone has done this before?

Yes, this particular wheel has been reinvented before, again and again
and again and ..........
Thanks for any tips!

There is a new python web standard called WSGI that seeks to refactor
out these kinds of reusable components and make them portable not just
between servers but also between frameworks. WSGI refers to these as
"middleware components".

http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0333.html

Although WSGI is still a standard in formation, I recommend that you at
least take a look at it: by starting down a standardised road, you will
at least have a chance to reuse other peoples components.

I know of only one WSGI-compliant session module: the one written by Ian
Bicking, principal author of WebWare. It is not fully released yet, i.e.
it is only available from Ian's Subversion source code repository. You
can find out how to access that here

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/web-sig/2004-October/000941.html

HTH,

Johnathan Doe

Thanks guys for your replies! That was really helpful. Looks like I
need a bit more time to study everything available for Python. You
know, I wonder why Python doesn't have more "native" web development
infrastructure like PHP. I think (abviously so do zillions of others)
that Python is a beautiful and usable language, and I reckon that this
issue of some kind of standard web dev module is holding back its
popularity. It could be at least a few orders of magnitude more popular
than PHP if it was heavy in web development infrastructure.

Cheers
Johnathan

Thomas Guettler

Am Fri, 15 Oct 2004 18:57:11 +1000 schrieb Johnathan Doe:
Thanks guys for your replies! That was really helpful. Looks like I
need a bit more time to study everything available for Python. You
know, I wonder why Python doesn't have more "native" web development
infrastructure like PHP. I think (abviously so do zillions of others)
that Python is a beautiful and usable language, and I reckon that this
issue of some kind of standard web dev module is holding back its
popularity. It could be at least a few orders of magnitude more popular
than PHP if it was heavy in web development infrastructure.

Hi,

Yes, it would be nice if there was *one* standard way.
Quixote is very small and simple. Other libraries could
be build on top of it, using the simple API.

Thomas