easy_install says "not a recognized archive type" Windows Py3

Noah Coad

Hello, I'm new to Python, have v3.0 32bit installed on Windows 7, installed distribute, now trying to install pymysql and am getting the below error. Any pointers on how to fix? thanks!! -Noah

[C:\Python32]pip install --upgrade distribute
Real name of requirement distribute is distribute
Requirement already up-to-date: distribute in c:\python32\lib\site-packages\dist
ribute-0.6.28-py3.2.egg
Cleaning up...

[C:\Python32]easy_install pymysql
Searching for pymysql
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pymysql/
Couldn't find index page for 'pymysql' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/PyMySQL/
Reading http://code.google.com/p/pymysql
Best match: PyMySQL 0.5
Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/P/PyMySQL/PyMySQL-0.5.tar.gz#
md5=125e8a3449e05afcb04874a19673426b
Processing PyMySQL-0.5.tar.gz
error: Not a recognized archive type: c:\users\noahco~1\appdata\local\temp\easy_
install-gpekqc\PyMySQL-0.5.tar.gz

Chris Angelico

error: Not a recognized archive type: c:\users\noahco~1\appdata\local\temp\easy_
install-gpekqc\PyMySQL-0.5.tar.gz

Nobody seems to have responded to this (or I haven't seen it), but it
looks like your system can't extract gzip files. Suggestions found on
other fora (at the opposite end of a Google search) point to possibly
using pip instead of easy_install; alternatively, you may be able to
install a Windows gzip utility, though I don't know anything about
linking that up with easy_install.

Sorry I can't be of more help! But maybe bumping this thread will
bring it to someone's attention who actually knows.

ChrisA