easy_install says "not a recognized archive type" Windows Py3

Discussion in 'Python' started by Noah Coad, Oct 16, 2012.

  1. Noah Coad

    Noah Coad Guest

    Hello, I'm new to Python, have v3.0 32bit installed on Windows 7, installed distribute, now trying to install pymysql and am getting the below error. Any pointers on how to fix? thanks!! -Noah

    [C:\Python32]pip install --upgrade distribute
    Real name of requirement distribute is distribute
    Requirement already up-to-date: distribute in c:\python32\lib\site-packages\dist
    ribute-0.6.28-py3.2.egg
    Cleaning up...

    [C:\Python32]easy_install pymysql
    Searching for pymysql
    Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/pymysql/
    Couldn't find index page for 'pymysql' (maybe misspelled?)
    Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
    Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/
    Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/PyMySQL/
    Reading http://code.google.com/p/pymysql
    Best match: PyMySQL 0.5
    Downloading http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/P/PyMySQL/PyMySQL-0.5.tar.gz#
    md5=125e8a3449e05afcb04874a19673426b
    Processing PyMySQL-0.5.tar.gz
    error: Not a recognized archive type: c:\users\noahco~1\appdata\local\temp\easy_
    install-gpekqc\PyMySQL-0.5.tar.gz
    Noah Coad, Oct 16, 2012

  2. On Tue, Oct 16, 2012 at 1:41 PM, Noah Coad <> wrote:
    > error: Not a recognized archive type: c:\users\noahco~1\appdata\local\temp\easy_
    > install-gpekqc\PyMySQL-0.5.tar.gz

    Nobody seems to have responded to this (or I haven't seen it), but it
    looks like your system can't extract gzip files. Suggestions found on
    other fora (at the opposite end of a Google search) point to possibly
    using pip instead of easy_install; alternatively, you may be able to
    install a Windows gzip utility, though I don't know anything about
    linking that up with easy_install.

    Sorry I can't be of more help! But maybe bumping this thread will
    bring it to someone's attention who actually knows.

    ChrisA
    Chris Angelico, Oct 17, 2012