    Is there a simpler way to install a python egg? Or am I missing
    something with easy_install?

    , Feb 8, 2009

  2. wrote:

    > For the life of me I can not figure out how to get easy_install to
    > work. The syntax displayed on the web page does not appear to work
    > properly.
    >
    > easy_install c:\MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg

    It usually works for me - so what does "not appear to work properly"
    actually mean?

    Diez

    Diez B. Roggisch, Feb 8, 2009

    On Feb 8, 9:27 am, "Diez B. Roggisch" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > For the life of me I can not figure out how to get easy_install to
    > > work. The syntax displayed on the web page does not appear to work
    > > properly.

    > > easy_install c:\MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg

    > It usually works for me - so what does "not appear to work properly"
    > actually mean?
    >
    > Diez

    http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#downloading-and-installing-a-package

    seems to imply that after installation I can goto a command prompt and
    type

    easy_install c:\MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg

    I tried doing this in the python interpreter and on a straight "cmd"
    command prompt (the site doesn't really specify). I also tried "import
    easy_install" and then

    easy_install c:\MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg
    easy_install ("c:\MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg")

    and a couple other permutations and never got it to run (error
    messages for the first group were "invalid syntax" and were various
    flavors of "module not callable" for the second group).

    , Feb 8, 2009
  4. Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> For the life of me I can not figure out how to get easy_install to
    >> work. The syntax displayed on the web page does not appear to work
    >> properly.
    >>
    >> easy_install c:\MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg

    > It usually works for me - so what does "not appear to work properly"
    > actually mean?
    >
    > Diez

    I updated my easy_install, used the
    scripts directory, dropped the "c:\" and
    it gave the response below for me:

    C:\Documents and
    Settings\cjw\Desktop>c:\Python25\scripts\easy_install
    MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg
    Searching for
    MySQL-python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg
    Reading
    http://pypi.python.org/simple/MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg/
    Reading
    http://pypi.python.org/simple/MySQL-python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg/
    Couldn't find index page for
    'MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg'
    (maybe misspelled?)
    Scanning index of all packages (this may
    take a while)
    Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/
    No local packages or download links
    found for MySQL-python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg
    error: Could not find suitable
    distribution for
    Requirement.parse('MySQL-python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg')

    C:\Documents and Settings\cjw\Desktop>

    I hope that this is of some help.

    Colin W.

    Colin J. Williams, Feb 8, 2009
  5. > I updated my easy_install, used the scripts directory, dropped the "c:\" and
    > it gave the response below for me:

    That's kinda apples to oranges to what the OP's problem is.

    The OP appears to be trying to install an egg he downloaded
    previously. You're instructing easy_install (by dropping the c:\) to
    search PyPi for an egg that isn't provided. The problem you're having
    is that it can't find on the internet any packages that match that
    name (because if you wanted it to find something on the internet,
    you'd say "easy_install MySQL_python").

    --S

    Stephen Hansen, Feb 8, 2009
  6. > That's kinda apples to oranges to what the OP's problem is.

    > The OP appears to be trying to install an egg he downloaded
    > previously.

    I think he actually didn't - if you read his messages, nowhere
    he said that he actually downloaded the file, and that it actually
    exists in the root directory of c:

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Feb 8, 2009
  7. > http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall#downloading-and-installing-a-package

    > seems to imply that after installation I can goto a command prompt and
    > type
    >
    > easy_install c:\MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg

    These instructions must have misled you. This command only works if you
    actually have a file c:\MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg on your disk,
    e.g. after downloading it, from

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi/MySQL-python/1.2.2

    If you haven't downloaded it, you have two choices

    1. download it, and then give the full filename to easy_install
    (*not* c:\MySQL_python-1.2.2-py2.4-win32.egg, unless you download
    to c:\)

    2. ask easy_install to download first, with

    easy_install MySQL-python

    Regards,
    Martin

    Martin v. Löwis, Feb 8, 2009

    I had it downloaded and sitting in the root c:\ but didn't get it to
    run because I didn't think about the \scripts folder not being in the
    Path. Problem solved and fixed. Thank you all for your help.

    On a side note, "easy_install MySQL-python" produced the following
    messages:
    Searching for MySQL-python
    Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/MySQL_python/
    Reading http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python
    Reading http://sourceforge.net/projects/mysql-python/
    Best match: MySQL-python 1.2.3b1
    Downloading http://osdn.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/mysql-python/MySQL-python-1.2.3b1.tar.gz
    Processing MySQL-python-1.2.3b1.tar.gz
    Running MySQL-python-1.2.3b1\setup.py -q bdist_egg --dist-dir c:
    \docume~1\jhall\locals~1\temp\easy_install-t_ph9k\MySQL-
    python-1.2.3b1\egg-dist-tmp-3gtuz9
    error: The system cannot find the file specified

    installing from the hard drive worked fine, however.

    , Feb 9, 2009