echo %CLASSPATH% at dos console

Michael Borgwardt

Quick said:
I am on windows xp. In the dos console, if I type

Why the result is

%CLASSPATH%

Because the CLASSPATH path environment variable is not set.
And that's exactly how it should be - classpaths should be
set application-specific on the command line or in a JAR
Manifest.

hilz

I am expecting it returns the path.

then you should do this:
echo %path%

which gives you the system path.

the classpath environmental variable is not defined (as mentioned in the
earlier post). you have to define it before running your javac or java
commands

HTH
hilz

Michael Borgwardt

hilz said:
then you should do this:
echo %path%

which gives you the system path.

the classpath environmental variable is not defined (as mentioned in the
earlier post). you have to define it before running your javac or java
commands

No, you don't, and you shouldn't.