    including the paths to the packages.

    I would appreciate an advise.

    Best regards, Yevgen Malafeyev AKA Malcolm.
    Malcolm, Jul 16, 2003

  2. Malcolm

    rkm Guest

    Tim Tyler wrote:
    > Malcolm <> wrote:
    >
    > : I'm wondering if it's possible to set Eclipse in a way it doesn't
    > : organize imports at all. I want to have full names of all the classes
    > : including the paths to the packages.
    >
    > You can set it to do that while it's doing its tidying ;-)
    >
    > It will sometimes turn things into import ... .* when doing
    > certain refactorings, though - there's no way to turn that off.
    >
    > You could avoid tidying imports - but that would be failing
    > to take advantage of an extremely useful feature.

    There's a setting on the properties page that tells it how
    many imports must come from the same package path before the
    * is substituted. Set it to a high number like 100.
    rkm, Jul 17, 2003

  3. Malcolm

    Chris Smith Guest

    Thomas G. Marshall wrote:
    > You wouldn't believe the arguments I've had with them silly asterisk people.
    > It's a good thing that java doesn't match wildcards to all subpackages or
    > such folk would be using:
    >
    > import *;
    >
    > Lazy bastards...

    Well personally, I was a lazy bastard myself until Eclipse started doing
    all the work for me... :)

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation
    Chris Smith, Jul 17, 2003

  4. > > You wouldn't believe the arguments I've had with them silly asterisk

    people.
    > > It's a good thing that java doesn't match wildcards to all subpackages

    or
    > > such folk would be using:
    > >
    > > import *;
    > >
    > > Lazy bastards...

    > Well personally, I was a lazy bastard myself until Eclipse started doing
    > all the work for me... :)

    Always wondered what's wrong with using wildcards anyway...

    Might have been a bit slower at one time (the compiler that is, not the
    runtime), but no more.
    Jeroen Wenting, Jul 17, 2003
  5. "Chris Smith" <> wrote in message

    > Well personally, I was a lazy bastard myself until Eclipse started

    doing
    > all the work for me... :)

    More probably, we're still lazy bastards, but Eclipse is hiding it from
    the rest of the world ;-)
    Michiel
    Michiel Konstapel, Jul 17, 2003
  6. In news:FBzRa.6787$w3.1924875@zonnet-reader-1,
    Michiel Konstapel <> spoke unto us:
    > "Chris Smith" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Well personally, I was a lazy bastard myself until Eclipse started
    >> doing all the work for me... :)

    > More probably, we're still lazy bastards, but Eclipse is hiding it
    > from the rest of the world ;-)
    > Michiel

    Well, after I wrote "Lazy bastards", I realized that sometimes that is a
    great attribute. For example, for years I was designing thread /safe/
    singleton code similar the following pseudo:

    class Thang
    {
    private Thang() { ...mumble...}
    public static getInstance() { return instance; }
    private static instance = new Thang();
    }

    ....simply because I was far too lazy to write the following (thread
    /UN/safe) code:

    public static getInstance()
    {
    if (instance == null)
    instance = new Thang();
    return instance;
    }

    Sometimes lazy bastards rule...
    Thomas G. Marshall, Jul 17, 2003
  7. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    Tim Tyler wrote:
    > You can set it to do that while it's doing its tidying ;-)

    I've got a reason not to use it...

    > It will sometimes turn things into import ... .* when doing
    > certain refactorings, though - there's no way to turn that off.
    >
    > You could avoid tidying imports - but that would be failing
    > to take advantage of an extremely useful feature.

    I ment I need not to see "import" in my code at all. It's a prohibited
    operator for me... So can I switch off such feature in Eclipse. I guess
    not. :-(
    Malcolm, Jul 18, 2003
  8. Malcolm

    Jim Sculley Guest

    Malcolm wrote:
    > Tim Tyler wrote:
    >
    >> You can set it to do that while it's doing its tidying ;-)

    > I've got a reason not to use it...
    >
    >> It will sometimes turn things into import ... .* when doing
    >> certain refactorings, though - there's no way to turn that off.
    >>
    >> You could avoid tidying imports - but that would be failing
    >> to take advantage of an extremely useful feature.

    > I ment I need not to see "import" in my code at all. It's a prohibited
    > operator for me... So can I switch off such feature in Eclipse. I guess
    > not. :-(

    Window..Preferences...Java...Editor...Code Assist.

    Uncheck the 'Automatically add import instead of qualified name' option.

    Jim S.

    --
    Remove my extraneous mandibular appendages to reply via e-mail.
    Jim Sculley, Jul 21, 2003
  9. Malcolm

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Thomas G. Marshall <> wrote:

    : I'm begining to wonder if I should avoid using Eclipse for the same reason I
    : don't use phone number memory in my cell phone. I don't want to forget how
    : to get by /without/ it.

    Much the same argument can be used against almost any tool.

    The problem with following such advice is that then you don't
    get to enjoy the benefits the tools bring.

    The argument has most force if the tool is likely to be taken
    away - or sometimes prove to be ususable.
    --
    __________
    Tim Tyler, Jul 21, 2003
  10. Tim Tyler <> horrified us with:

    > Thomas G. Marshall
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> I'm begining to wonder if I should avoid using Eclipse for the same
    >> reason I don't use phone number memory in my cell phone. I don't
    >> want to forget how to get by /without/ it.

    > Much the same argument can be used against almost any tool.
    >
    > The problem with following such advice is that then you don't
    > get to enjoy the benefits the tools bring.
    >
    > The argument has most force if the tool is likely to be taken
    > away - or sometimes prove to be ususable.

    Yep. In the case of phones, I just saw too many friends away from their
    phone# storages trying futilely to remember phone numbers. I dial
    everything out by hand.

    As far as eclipse goes, I'm still warming up to its idiosyncrasies.
    Thomas G. Marshall, Jul 21, 2003
  11. Malcolm

    Malcolm Guest

    Hi, Jim.

    Jim Sculley ?????:
    >> I ment I need not to see "import" in my code at all. It's a prohibited
    >> operator for me... So can I switch off such feature in Eclipse. I
    >> guess not. :-(

    > Window..Preferences...Java...Editor...Code Assist.
    >
    > Uncheck the 'Automatically add import instead of qualified name' option.

    Thanks a lot!

    Best regards, Yevgen Malafeyev AKA Malcolm.
    Malcolm, Jul 25, 2003