Eclipse 3.2 workspace .metadata question (was workspace copy problem)

pdxrain

Is there a way to archive the .metadata files in a directory of
workspaces?

My goal is to take a completely configured directory of workspaces,
"zip" it up and distribute it to my students. I was hoping they could
simply unzip it, choose each workspace as appropriate, and go... But
how to preserve the .metadata files in each workspace? Compressing
with Windows to a zip file causes the .metadata files to be lost.

Thanks for any help.

Vince