Eclipse 3.5 having weird problems, unhandled event loop exceptions,out of permgen space

Discussion in 'Java' started by david.karr, Jul 13, 2009.

  1. david.karr

    david.karr Guest

    (I would post this on the Eclipse newsgroups, but some sort of bug in
    the web interface is preventing me from logging in to post.)

    Several weeks ago, I installed Eclipse 3.5 on a box for the first
    time, and it was working perfectly fine. Last week, I installed it
    again on a new box (different company), and it was also working fine,
    for a while. At the end of last week, some event or threshold was
    reached that I'm not aware of, such that it often fails with "out of
    permgen space" errors, often when I'm viewing XML files more than a
    few pages long. I've never had this kind of problem with Eclipse
    before.

    I'm currently sending "-vmargs -Xms64m -Xmx1152m" at the end of the
    Eclipse command line, and I changed the two "--launcher.XXMaxPermSize"
    options in eclipse.ini such that the passed value is "512m" (I imagine
    setting both is redundant, but I wanted to make sure). Even with this
    change, it still runs out of permgen space, along with numerous
    "unhandled event loop exception" messages in the log.

    I'm going to run VisualVM to watch the process for a while, to see
    what it thinks is being used in permgen the next time it fails.

    Any ideas about anything I can do to mitigate this or get more useful
    information?

    david.karr, Jul 13, 2009

  2. david.karr

    David Karr Guest

    Re: Eclipse 3.5 having weird problems, unhandled event loopexceptions, out of permgen space

    On Jul 13, 9:20 am, "david.karr" <> wrote:
    > (I would post this on the Eclipse newsgroups, but some sort of bug in
    > the web interface is preventing me from logging in to post.)
    >
    > Several weeks ago, I installed Eclipse 3.5 on a box for the first
    > time, and it was working perfectly fine. Last week, I installed it
    > again on a new box (different company), and it was also working fine,
    > for a while.  At the end of last week, some event or threshold was
    > reached that I'm not aware of, such that it often fails with "out of
    > permgen space" errors, often when I'm viewing XML files more than a
    > few pages long.  I've never had this kind of problem with Eclipse
    > before.
    >
    > I'm currently sending "-vmargs -Xms64m -Xmx1152m" at the end of the
    > Eclipse command line, and I changed the two "--launcher.XXMaxPermSize"
    > options in eclipse.ini such that the passed value is "512m" (I imagine
    > setting both is redundant, but I wanted to make sure).  Even with this
    > change, it still runs out of permgen space, along with numerous
    > "unhandled event loop exception" messages in the log.
    >
    > I'm going to run VisualVM to watch the process for a while, to see
    > what it thinks is being used in permgen the next time it fails.
    >
    > Any ideas about anything I can do to mitigate this or get more useful
    > information?

    I have a feeling the "--launcher.XXMaxPermSize 512m" is being ignored,
    because when I just got another permgen error (when I tried to view an
    XSD), I realized what the permgen graph in VisualVM was telling me,
    which is that my max is 64m. Should I not bother with the setting in
    eclipse.ini, and just try setting it on the command line with the
    other vmargs?

    David Karr, Jul 13, 2009

  3. david.karr

    On Jul 13, 9:44 am, David Karr <> wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 9:20 am, "david.karr" <> wrote:
    >

    > > (I would post this on the Eclipse newsgroups, but some sort of bug in
    > > the web interface is preventing me from logging in to post.)

    > > Several weeks ago, I installed Eclipse 3.5 on a box for the first
    > > time, and it was working perfectly fine. Last week, I installed it
    > > again on a new box (different company), and it was also working fine,
    > > for a while.  At the end of last week, some event or threshold was
    > > reached that I'm not aware of, such that it often fails with "out of
    > > permgen space" errors, often when I'm viewing XML files more than a
    > > few pages long.  I've never had this kind of problem with Eclipse
    > > before.

    > > I'm currently sending "-vmargs -Xms64m -Xmx1152m" at the end of the
    > > Eclipse command line, and I changed the two "--launcher.XXMaxPermSize"
    > > options in eclipse.ini such that the passed value is "512m" (I imagine
    > > setting both is redundant, but I wanted to make sure).  Even with this
    > > change, it still runs out of permgen space, along with numerous
    > > "unhandled event loop exception" messages in the log.

    > > I'm going to run VisualVM to watch the process for a while, to see
    > > what it thinks is being used in permgen the next time it fails.

    > > Any ideas about anything I can do to mitigate this or get more useful
    > > information?

    > I have a feeling the "--launcher.XXMaxPermSize 512m" is being ignored,
    > because when I just got another permgen error (when I tried to view an
    > XSD), I realized what the permgen graph in VisualVM was telling me,
    > which is that my max is 64m.  Should I not bother with the setting in
    > eclipse.ini, and just try setting it on the command line with the
    > other vmargs?

    I set the maxpermsize value on the command line, and now VisualVM
    acknowledges I have a larger permgen space. I was able to view an
    XSD, so that must have been my entire problem. It seems odd that
    Eclipse sets its default to only 64m.

    David Karr, Jul 13, 2009
  4. david.karr

    David Karr Guest

    Re: Eclipse 3.5 having weird problems, unhandled event loopexceptions, out of permgen space

    On Jul 13, 9:44 am, David Karr <> wrote:
    > On Jul 13, 9:20 am, "david.karr" <> wrote:
    >

    > > (I would post this on the Eclipse newsgroups, but some sort of bug in
    > > the web interface is preventing me from logging in to post.)

    > > Several weeks ago, I installed Eclipse 3.5 on a box for the first
    > > time, and it was working perfectly fine. Last week, I installed it
    > > again on a new box (different company), and it was also working fine,
    > > for a while.  At the end of last week, some event or threshold was
    > > reached that I'm not aware of, such that it often fails with "out of
    > > permgen space" errors, often when I'm viewing XML files more than a
    > > few pages long.  I've never had this kind of problem with Eclipse
    > > before.

    > > I'm currently sending "-vmargs -Xms64m -Xmx1152m" at the end of the
    > > Eclipse command line, and I changed the two "--launcher.XXMaxPermSize"
    > > options in eclipse.ini such that the passed value is "512m" (I imagine
    > > setting both is redundant, but I wanted to make sure).  Even with this
    > > change, it still runs out of permgen space, along with numerous
    > > "unhandled event loop exception" messages in the log.

    > > I'm going to run VisualVM to watch the process for a while, to see
    > > what it thinks is being used in permgen the next time it fails.

    > > Any ideas about anything I can do to mitigate this or get more useful
    > > information?

    > I have a feeling the "--launcher.XXMaxPermSize 512m" is being ignored,
    > because when I just got another permgen error (when I tried to view an
    > XSD), I realized what the permgen graph in VisualVM was telling me,
    > which is that my max is 64m.  Should I not bother with the setting in
    > eclipse.ini, and just try setting it on the command line with the
    > other vmargs?

    Curious. At around this same time, I had also noticed that I was
    getting failures trying to update various Eclipse plugins, giving me a
    message like "Error while loading manipulator.". Today I noticed that
    the .metadata/.log file was reporting "Access Denied" errors for the
    "eclipse.ini" file. When I looked at it with Cygwin "ls -lt", I found
    all the access bits were off. I've actually seen this symptom (access
    bits all off) in several files on my box in the last few weeks, and I
    have no idea what causes it. After I fixed this for this file, I was
    able to update my plugins. I'm not sure at this point whether it
    would have resolved the issues with permgen, as I'm doing that on the
    command line now.

    David Karr, Jul 22, 2009