Eclipse 3.5 having weird problems, unhandled event loop exceptions,out of permgen space

david.karr

(I would post this on the Eclipse newsgroups, but some sort of bug in
the web interface is preventing me from logging in to post.)

Several weeks ago, I installed Eclipse 3.5 on a box for the first
time, and it was working perfectly fine. Last week, I installed it
again on a new box (different company), and it was also working fine,
for a while. At the end of last week, some event or threshold was
reached that I'm not aware of, such that it often fails with "out of
permgen space" errors, often when I'm viewing XML files more than a
few pages long. I've never had this kind of problem with Eclipse
before.

I'm currently sending "-vmargs -Xms64m -Xmx1152m" at the end of the
Eclipse command line, and I changed the two "--launcher.XXMaxPermSize"
options in eclipse.ini such that the passed value is "512m" (I imagine
setting both is redundant, but I wanted to make sure). Even with this
change, it still runs out of permgen space, along with numerous
"unhandled event loop exception" messages in the log.

I'm going to run VisualVM to watch the process for a while, to see
what it thinks is being used in permgen the next time it fails.

Any ideas about anything I can do to mitigate this or get more useful
information?

[...]

I have a feeling the "--launcher.XXMaxPermSize 512m" is being ignored,
because when I just got another permgen error (when I tried to view an
XSD), I realized what the permgen graph in VisualVM was telling me,
which is that my max is 64m. Should I not bother with the setting in
eclipse.ini, and just try setting it on the command line with the
other vmargs?

David Karr

I have a feeling the "--launcher.XXMaxPermSize 512m" is being ignored,
because when I just got another permgen error (when I tried to view an
XSD), I realized what the permgen graph in VisualVM was telling me,
which is that my max is 64m.  Should I not bother with the setting in
eclipse.ini, and just try setting it on the command line with the
other vmargs?

I set the maxpermsize value on the command line, and now VisualVM
acknowledges I have a larger permgen space. I was able to view an
XSD, so that must have been my entire problem. It seems odd that
Eclipse sets its default to only 64m.

David Karr

I have a feeling the "--launcher.XXMaxPermSize 512m" is being ignored,
because when I just got another permgen error (when I tried to view an
XSD), I realized what the permgen graph in VisualVM was telling me,
which is that my max is 64m.  Should I not bother with the setting in
eclipse.ini, and just try setting it on the command line with the
other vmargs?

Curious. At around this same time, I had also noticed that I was
getting failures trying to update various Eclipse plugins, giving me a
message like "Error while loading manipulator.". Today I noticed that
the .metadata/.log file was reporting "Access Denied" errors for the
"eclipse.ini" file. When I looked at it with Cygwin "ls -lt", I found
all the access bits were off. I've actually seen this symptom (access
bits all off) in several files on my box in the last few weeks, and I
have no idea what causes it. After I fixed this for this file, I was
able to update my plugins. I'm not sure at this point whether it
would have resolved the issues with permgen, as I'm doing that on the
command line now.