Eclipse and Tomcat on Linux : possible ?

Marc Carmier

Hello,
I'm trying to migrate some users from Windows to Linux ([K]Ubuntu
6.0.6). In this context I have some Java coders who work actually on
windows with locally installed :
- eclipse 3.1
- Plugin tomcat sysdeo
- Tomcat 5

Install eclipse on linux was simple. And it work !

Like any Unix sysmanager, I don't like the idea that coders has to
install their plug-ins in system directory (but they can do what they
want in their home directory that is saved everyday). I think I managed
this with the creation of an .eclipse directory in their home directory.
But I didn't found the documentation of this feature anywhere.

In a second time, I would prefer avoid to install a Tomcat server on
each workstation (since I didn't find this idea very manageable nor
secure). But I wasn't able to find documentation describing this kind of
architecture. All document I found on Eclipse and its plugins talk
about C:\Tomcat directory and a locally installed Tomcat server.

In short, I would like to put this :
- One Eclipse on each coder's workstation (with eventually one more
user on X terminal [may be for trainees])

- One CVS/Subversion repository (bonus)

- Automatic rebuild and deploy with Ant (bonus)

- One Tomcat server for development

- One Tomcat server for production (with no access for coders !)

If someone work that way (even partly) or can give me link to documents/
web sites/books who talks about these subjects, please help me !!

Thanks !

Marc Carmier

Roland de Ruiter

[...]

You can install Eclipse (and all your extensions) in a directory which
is not writable by your developers. However when you start Eclipse it
needs some directory to store its configuration (where it writes down
which extensions are installed and which workspace directory have been
used recently). The default location for this is the "configuration"
directory in the installation directory (e.g.
/usr/bin/eclipse/configuration).

Luckily you can specify where this configuration should be stored: one
way is to use the -configuration command line option [2], but probably
in your case it's better to define it in the config.ini file in
/usr/bin/eclipse/configuration directory [1], so your developers cannot
forget it. Add the following line (check if the property doesn't exist
yet, and add it before the eof marker)

[email protected]/.eclipse-config

Upon startup, this will cause Eclipse to create or use the directory
..eclipse-config in each user's home directory, e.g.
/users/bob/.eclipse-config. Instead of .eclipse-config you can of course
choose another name.

The same can be accomplished with the -configuration command line option:
eclipse -configuration '@user.home/.eclipse-config'
But as indicated before, each user has remember to specify this option
(or create a startup script for it)

So as system administrator you can install Eclipse and all required
plugins with readonly access for the appropriate users, while they still
can start it because the configuration is written into their respective
home direcories.

If a user does need an extension which is not (yet) available in the
installation directory, he can install it in its own directory. To do
this he can unpack the extensions zip file (which typically creates the
eclipse/features/ and eclipse/plugins/ directories). Then he has to
create an empty file with the name .eclipseextension in the eclipse
directory (the same where the subdirectories features/ and plugins/
reside, see [3]). As an example with the CDT extension, bob's directory
structure could look like this.
/user/bob/eclipse-extensions/cdt/eclipse/.eclipseextension
/user/bob/eclipse-extensions/cdt/eclipse/features/...
/user/bob/eclipse-extensions/cdt/eclipse/plugins/...
Finally the user has to use Help > Software Updates > Manage
Configuration > Add an Extension Location and add the folder
containing the .eclipseextension file (in the example above that would
be /user/bob/eclipse-extensions/cdt/eclipse/).

[1]<http://help.eclipse.org/help31/inde...m.doc.isv/reference/misc/runtime-options.html>
[2]<http://help.eclipse.org/help31/inde...e.platform.doc.user/tasks/running_eclipse.htm>
[3]<http://help.eclipse.org/help31/inde....platform.doc.isv/guide/product_extension.htm>

Marc Carmier

Thanks Roland for this detailled answers and the links !

Now the first point is resolved for me. I must now find how to configure
their plug-in to use a shared remote Tomcat server ?

Rhino

Marc Carmier said:
Thanks Roland for this detailled answers and the links !

Now the first point is resolved for me. I must now find how to configure
their plug-in to use a shared remote Tomcat server ?

I believe that the Sysdeo webpage includes an email link so that you can
contact the developer in France. Bruno was very responsive when I asked him
for help via email a couple of years ago, even though it was a Sunday and he
didn't know me. If you ask him, I feel sure he will be able to tell you how
to configure Sysdeo for your environment.