Eclipse and Tomcat questions

Discussion in 'Java' started by Steven, Jun 7, 2006.

  1. Steven

    Steven Guest

    Hi everyone,

    Lastnight I setup Eclipse to work with Tomcat, which works very good, but
    there are something I don't understand.

    1. My files are put in my workspace in (C:\Documents and Settings\...etc)
    How does Tomcat (which is installed in C:\Tomcat) know that it should get
    the files from my workspace directory?
    Because in the C:\Tomcat directory I can't find any .XML file that refers to
    my workspace directory.

    2. How I developed my servlets till now, I had some other free editor, I
    needed to compile my servlets then restart Tomcat and then test it.
    With Eclipse + Tomcat plugin, all I need to do save the servlet and
    apparently the source code is compiled automatically. All I need to do is
    refresh the servlet in my browsers (very handy and easy to develop like
    this). But my question is, does Eclipse compile the servlet automatically
    after saving? And why doesn't tomcat have to be restarted?

    Just a few questions to understand it a bit better, I'm really happy with
    this setup as it makes everything a lot easier.

    Rgrds,
    Steven.
    Steven, Jun 7, 2006

  2. Steven

    Alex Hunsley Guest

    Steven wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Lastnight I setup Eclipse to work with Tomcat, which works very good, but
    > there are something I don't understand.

    How? Using the sysdeo plugin, or something else?

    > 1. My files are put in my workspace in (C:\Documents and Settings\...etc)
    > How does Tomcat (which is installed in C:\Tomcat) know that it should get
    > the files from my workspace directory?
    > Because in the C:\Tomcat directory I can't find any .XML file that refers to
    > my workspace directory.

    How about c:\tomcat\conf\server.xml? Does that mention your workspace dir?

    > 2. How I developed my servlets till now, I had some other free editor, I
    > needed to compile my servlets then restart Tomcat and then test it.
    > With Eclipse + Tomcat plugin, all I need to do save the servlet and
    > apparently the source code is compiled automatically. All I need to do is
    > refresh the servlet in my browsers (very handy and easy to develop like
    > this). But my question is, does Eclipse compile the servlet automatically
    > after saving?

    If you have Project -> Build Automatically ticked, yes, it will compile
    your java src immediately.

    >And why doesn't tomcat have to be restarted?

    You can configure tomcat to automatically reload classes that have
    changed. Can be caused by this:

    reloadable="true"

    appearing in server.xml's contexts...

    Btw, I may be wrong about this, but I don't think c.l.java.gui is a good
    group for this question. I think that group is for gui programming, as
    opposed to gui IDEs.

    Alex Hunsley, Jun 7, 2006

  3. Steven

    IchBin Guest

    Steven wrote:
    > Hi everyone,
    >
    > Lastnight I setup Eclipse to work with Tomcat, which works very good, but
    > there are something I don't understand.
    >
    > 1. My files are put in my workspace in (C:\Documents and Settings\...etc)
    > How does Tomcat (which is installed in C:\Tomcat) know that it should get
    > the files from my workspace directory?
    > Because in the C:\Tomcat directory I can't find any .XML file that refers to
    > my workspace directory.
    >
    > 2. How I developed my servlets till now, I had some other free editor, I
    > needed to compile my servlets then restart Tomcat and then test it.
    > With Eclipse + Tomcat plugin, all I need to do save the servlet and
    > apparently the source code is compiled automatically. All I need to do is
    > refresh the servlet in my browsers (very handy and easy to develop like
    > this). But my question is, does Eclipse compile the servlet automatically
    > after saving? And why doesn't tomcat have to be restarted?
    >
    > Just a few questions to understand it a bit better, I'm really happy with
    > this setup as it makes everything a lot easier.
    >
    > Rgrds,
    > Steven.

    Think you want to look at this subdirectory where the xml project files
    are dynamically built and referenced:

    ...\Tomcat5.5\conf\Catalina\localhost

    Example:

    <Context path="/Tom1"
    reloadable="true"
    docBase="C:\Documents and Settings\Ed Taylor\My Documents\Projects
    Eclipse\workspaces\workspace Web\Tom1" workDir="C:\Documents and
    Settings\Ed Taylor\My Documents\Projects Eclipse\workspaces\workspace
    Web\Tom1\work" >
    </Context>

    Thanks in Advance...
    IchBin, Pocono Lake, Pa, USA