    could get it to play nicely.....

    --
    Rhino

    Rhino, Apr 14, 2010

  2. Rhino

    markspace Guest

    Rhino wrote:
    > Can anyone advise me on the best plugin to use to integrate current
    > versions of Tomcat and Eclipse?

    I don't use Eclipse, but AFAIK all that stuff is integrated into Eclipse
    and NetBeans now. No more need for plug-ins anymore, just make a "JEE"
    project and go.

    markspace, Apr 15, 2010

  3. Rhino

    Lew Guest

    markspace wrote:
    > I don't use Eclipse, but AFAIK all that stuff is integrated into Eclipse
    > and NetBeans now. No more need for plug-ins anymore, just make a "JEE"
    > project and go.

    While better than it used to be, Eclipse still suffers from multi-versionosis.
    You have to hunt around the site a little to get a fully Java EE-enabled
    version, but it's there.

    As with NetBeans, you might have to "activate" some features
    post-installation. Both IDEs tend to activate features when you first call
    for them, but I've found it necessary sometimes to dig through the preference
    menus and give that a nudge.

    <http://www.eclipse.org/downloads/>
    Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developers (189 MB)
    "Download eclipse-jee-galileo-SR2-linux-gtk-x86_64.tar.gz from:"
    [mirror link provided here]

    As for integration with Tomcat, all you have to do is use the "add server"
    capability to tell it where your Tomcat installation lives.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, Apr 15, 2010
  4. It took me a while to figure out but it's actually quite easy:
    1. Install Eclipse, the J2EE (large) version is what I use.
    2. Install Tomcat, noting the base directory.
    3. Open Eclipse, close the Welcome page.
    4. Navigate to the Server tab at the bottom. If you don't have one
    do Windows > Show Views > Others > Servers.
    5. Right-click in the Servers window and click on Add Server.
    Navigate to the Tomcat base Directory. Click OK's.
    A Tomcat Icon should appear in the project pane and icons at the
    top.
    6. Right click the Tomcat icon and click start server.

    You are good to go.

    Chris

    Dancing Fingers, Apr 15, 2010