    different Appservers.

    Cheers

    Lord0

    Lord0, Feb 2, 2007

  2. On 02.02.2007 11:54, Lord0 wrote:
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Usually when using the Eclipse debugger when I add a breakpoint a blue
    > "dot" icon with a tick appears in the gutter of the source code.
    > Sometimes though all I get is a blue dot with no tick and the code
    > does not suspend execution at the breakpoint. Why is this? No warnings
    > are reported etc. When I examine the properties of the breakpoints
    > which do not work they appear identical to the breakpoints which work.
    >
    > I am using, Eclipse 3.2, myEclipse 5.1 with OC4J10g but I have also
    > had this issue with previous versions of Eclipse, Webtools and
    > different Appservers.

    Maybe you set the breakpoint in the wrong source file, i.e. not a source
    file attached with your current execution. This happens sometimes if
    classes are not loaded from the project's standard classpath but through
    some appserver class loader.

    HTH

    robert

    Robert Klemme, Feb 2, 2007

  3. Lord0

    Lew Guest

    Robert Klemme wrote:
    > Maybe you set the breakpoint in the wrong source file, i.e. not a source
    > file attached with your current execution. This happens sometimes if
    > classes are not loaded from the project's standard classpath but through
    > some appserver class loader.

    A similar thing happens to JSPs - you might set breakpoints in both the
    deployment directory and the source directory, and Eclipse will try its best
    to set both - but if your source version differs from the debug version you
    will find it confusing.

    Also, some artifacts, especially JSPs and the like, don't map their source
    lines all that well to the generated .java file source lines. So what looks
    like a source line in your real source isn't actually executable in the
    generated source, so it can't actually sustain a breakpoint.

    Apropos of Robert's advice, I have sometimes messed up Eclipse's project
    properties wherein it loses track of the source or build directories. That can
    be by deletion of a directory reference from the build properties, or the
    inclusion of more than one. Either way it means that my source files become
    "not ... attached with [the] current execution". I am also queasy about
    Eclipse's management of inter-project dependencies, so I usually avoid having any.

    If you modify source from outside Eclipse's (Web)sphere of influence, make
    sure you tell Eclipse to refresh all its files and rebuild before you attempt
    to debug again. You may need to restart the test server. On occasion, I've had
    to dig into the generated .java-file directory, i.e., where the .java
    equivalents of JSPs reside, and manually delete the Eclipse-generated code.

    Another possibility may lurk in the project properties. I seem to recall a
    checkbox that directs Eclipse to include debugging information, and if that
    does exist it could be unchecked.

    Sorry to be so vague; it's been a few weeks since I last used Eclipse (or
    IBM's commercialized version, WSAD).

    - Lew

    Lew, Feb 2, 2007