Eclipse Carriage Return Workaround

Discussion in 'Python' started by Steve Holden, Dec 18, 2009.

  1. Steve Holden

    Steve Holden Guest

    I've written a Python 3 course that uses an Eclipse-based teaching
    system. The school is telling me that their version of Eclipse/pydev
    appears to have an input() function that appends a carriage return
    character to the user's input. This makes several things go screwy, as
    it's definitely not the way the standalone interpreter works, even on
    Windows.

    Can anyone think of a simple way work around this issue by overriding
    __builtins__.input() with a function that calls input() and then returns
    an rstrip()ped version of the input string? I though of setting a
    PYTHONSTARTUP environment variable, but that only affects interactive
    interpreter instances.

    regards
    Steve
    --
    Steve Holden +1 571 484 6266 +1 800 494 3119

    Steve Holden, Dec 18, 2009

  2. Steve Holden wrote:

    > Can anyone think of a simple way work around this issue by overriding
    > __builtins__.input() with a function that calls input() and then returns
    > an rstrip()ped version of the input string? I though of setting a
    > PYTHONSTARTUP environment variable, but that only affects interactive
    > interpreter instances.

    Maybe you could put something in site.py?

    --
    Greg

    Gregory Ewing, Dec 19, 2009