    Does anyone know if there's some way (maybe a plugin) to make
    this possible ? (I've already googled on it, to no avail).

    , Jul 22, 2004

  2. Bryce Guest

    On Thu, 22 Jul 2004 10:40:14 +0200, wrote:

    >After a few months of working with Eclipse, I'm almost 100%
    >happy with it, but the one feature i'm (still) missing is the ability
    >to edit source-code using drag & drop ...

    I don't see why you need to edit source-code with drag & drop. Could
    you explain?

    If you mean editing GUI's with drag and drop, then I believe there are
    plugins available.

    Look around here:
    http://www.eclipseplugincentral.com/

    or

    http://eclipse-plugins.2y.net/eclipse/index.jsp

    --
    now with more cowbell

    Bryce, Jul 22, 2004

  3. Liz Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > After a few months of working with Eclipse, I'm almost 100%
    > happy with it, but the one feature i'm (still) missing is the ability
    > to edit source-code using drag & drop ...
    >
    > Does anyone know if there's some way (maybe a plugin) to make
    > this possible ? (I've already googled on it, to no avail).

    It is called cut/paste and it is just as fast.

    Liz, Jul 23, 2004

    >>After a few months of working with Eclipse, I'm almost 100%
    >>happy with it, but the one feature i'm (still) missing is the ability
    >>to edit source-code using drag & drop ...

    > I don't see why you need to edit source-code with drag & drop.
    > Could you explain?

    I use the mouse to select a piece of code that needs to be replaced
    (or copied). Then I must reach for the keyboard to hit ctrl + X.

    It would be much more efficient if I just could drag the selected code
    rightaway to its new position with the mouse (or copy it by holding
    the ctrl-key).

    I really don't understand that this feature is not supported by Eclipse,
    lot's of text-, java- and html- ditors DO have this feature, it's nothing
    special.

    , Jul 23, 2004
  5. On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 09:22:24 +0200, wrote:

    > I use the mouse to select a piece of code that needs to be replaced
    > (or copied). Then I must reach for the keyboard to hit ctrl + X.

    'right click' 'cut|copy'

    'left click destination' 'right click' 'paste'

    HTH

    BTW - I am curious. How do you get *new* code in the
    editor without touching the keyboard? I suppose you
    *could* always copy/paste it letter by letter.. or
    keep a list of keywords open in another document..
    (muttering, wanders off)

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jul 23, 2004

    >> I use the mouse to select a piece of code that needs to be replaced
    >> (or copied). Then I must reach for the keyboard to hit ctrl + X.

    >'right click' 'cut|copy'
    >
    >'left click destination' 'right click' 'paste'

    That is, in my opinion, not as handy/efficient
    as just selecting and then dragging it.

    , Jul 23, 2004
  7. zoopy Guest

    On 23-7-2004 9:22, wrote:

    >>>After a few months of working with Eclipse, I'm almost 100%
    >>>happy with it, but the one feature i'm (still) missing is the ability
    >>>to edit source-code using drag & drop ...

    >>I don't see why you need to edit source-code with drag & drop.
    >>Could you explain?

    > I use the mouse to select a piece of code that needs to be replaced
    > (or copied). Then I must reach for the keyboard to hit ctrl + X.
    >
    > It would be much more efficient if I just could drag the selected code
    > rightaway to its new position with the mouse (or copy it by holding
    > the ctrl-key).
    >
    > I really don't understand that this feature is not supported by Eclipse,
    > lot's of text-, java- and html- ditors DO have this feature, it's nothing
    > special.

    In the outline view you can drag methods and fields, to reorder them, or drag them to another class
    in the package explorer (copying or moving them). (Cut/copy/paste also works, of course)

    In the package explorer you can drag files (i.e. Java classes or interfaces) from one package to
    another (even to another project). All reference to those classes/interfaces will automatigically be
    changed to the new package (wherever possible).

    File a RFE/feature request at <https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/> if you require dragging code snippets
    in the editor.

    Regards,
    Z.

    zoopy, Jul 23, 2004
  8. Jim McMaster Guest

    At 7/23/2004 12:24:33 AM, Liz wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    > > After a few months of working with Eclipse, I'm almost 100%
    > > happy with it, but the one feature i'm (still) missing is the
    > > ability to edit source-code using drag & drop ...
    > >
    > > Does anyone know if there's some way (maybe a plugin) to make
    > > this possible ? (I've already googled on it, to no avail).

    > It is called cut/paste and it is just as fast.

    I respectfully disagree. I used drag/drop in JBuilder, and it is
    better in some cases. In general,elect/left-click/drag/release is
    faster than
    select/right-click/left-click/left-click/right-click/left-click.

    JBuilder is buggy and overall not as good as Eclipse, but this is one
    feature I really miss.
    --
    Jim McMaster
    mailto:

    Jim McMaster, Jul 23, 2004
  9. Bryce Guest

    On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:21:23 +0200, wrote:

    >>> I use the mouse to select a piece of code that needs to be replaced
    >>> (or copied). Then I must reach for the keyboard to hit ctrl + X.

    >>'right click' 'cut|copy'
    >>
    >>'left click destination' 'right click' 'paste'

    >That is, in my opinion, not as handy/efficient
    >as just selecting and then dragging it.

    not to me. The less I have to touch my mouse the better. I love
    bookmarks because I can set them, then use shortcut keys to go back to
    them.

    Delphi has a cool feature where (I think) ctr-alt arrow up/down would
    take you to the next/previous method in a class... And I just checked
    in Eclipse, and it does in fact do the same thing... learn something
    new everyday.

    --
    now with more cowbell

    Bryce, Jul 23, 2004
  10. Liz Guest

    use right mouse button

    Liz, Jul 23, 2004
  11. On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 10:46:54 -0400, Bryce wrote:

    > The less I have to touch my mouse the better.

    Given it is unavoidable to touch the keyboard,
    I like Apps. that allow you to do *everything*
    with the keyboard. If there is no 'keyboard
    equivalent' to a mouse action, I am looking for
    an alternative.

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jul 24, 2004

    >> > I don't see why you need to edit source-code with drag & drop.
    >> > Could you explain?

    >> I use the mouse to select a piece of code that needs to be replaced
    >> (or copied). Then I must reach for the keyboard to hit ctrl + X.
    >>
    >> It would be much more efficient if I just could drag the selected code
    >> rightaway to its new position with the mouse (or copy it by holding
    >> the ctrl-key).
    >>
    >> I really don't understand that this feature is not supported by Eclipse,
    >> lot's of text-, java- and html- ditors DO have this feature, it's nothing
    >> special.

    > use right mouse button

    That is, in my opinion, not as handy/efficient
    as just selecting and then dragging it.

    , Jul 26, 2004
  13. On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 08:57:30 +0200, wrote:

    >> use right mouse button

    > That is, in my opinion, not as handy/efficient
    > as just selecting and then dragging it.

    Had you ever considered that D'n'D is a concept
    more in tune with children's paint programs than
    an OO computer language?

    Rather than D'n'D you should think 'refactor', as
    reused code seems to beg the question as to whether
    the code should be in a utility class.

    Just a thought..

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jul 26, 2004

    >>> use right mouse button
    >>
    >> That is, in my opinion, not as handy/efficient
    >> as just selecting and then dragging it.

    >Had you ever considered that D'n'D is a concept
    >more in tune with children's paint programs than
    >an OO computer language?

    Yeah, yeah, bla, bla, 'real programmers don't use the mouse',
    that is what you are trying to tell (teach) me, isn't it ?

    Can't you just accept that some people like to use the
    mouse for code-editing-purposes, even if you don't ?

    , Jul 26, 2004
  15. Bryce Guest

    On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:50:23 +0200, wrote:

    >>> That is, in my opinion, not as handy/efficient
    >>> as just selecting and then dragging it.

    >>Had you ever considered that D'n'D is a concept
    >>more in tune with children's paint programs than
    >>an OO computer language?

    >Yeah, yeah, bla, bla, 'real programmers don't use the mouse',
    >that is what you are trying to tell (teach) me, isn't it ?
    >
    >Can't you just accept that some people like to use the
    >mouse for code-editing-purposes, even if you don't ?

    Well, doesn't seem to be a lot of people coming to your defense, so I
    would assume not many people need it. If it was a highly in demand
    option, then you'd see it in more IDE's. I guess for most people,
    <ctr>-x and <ctr>- v work fine for them

    --
    now with more cowbell

    Bryce, Jul 26, 2004

    >> Can't you just accept that some people like to use the
    >> mouse for code-editing-purposes, even if you don't ?

    > Well, doesn't seem to be a lot of people coming to your defense, so I
    > would assume not many people need it. If it was a highly in demand
    > option, then you'd see it in more IDE's. I guess for most people,
    > <ctr>-x and <ctr>- v work fine for them.

    You DO see this option in ALMOST EVERY text, html, source-code,
    you-name-it editor, just not in Eclipse. That is just what surprises
    me so much, because it's a VERY COMMON option for any GUI-based
    editor.

    , Jul 26, 2004
  17. On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:50:23 +0200, wrote:

    > Yeah, yeah, bla, bla, 'real programmers don't use the mouse',
    > that is what you are trying to tell (teach) me, isn't it ?

    No. You trimmed the real point that you
    have been missing all along (grasshopper)..
    "Rather than D'n'D you should think 'refactor', as
    reused code seems to beg the question as to whether
    the code should be in a utility class."

    Stop thinking like a procedural programmer and
    you will see the benefit of what I am saying,
    ...alternatively, continue whining about something
    which is apparently of interest to no-one but you,
    if you so wish..

    --
    Andrew Thompson

    Andrew Thompson, Jul 26, 2004
  18. Rogan Dawes Guest

    Andrew Thompson wrote:

    > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:50:23 +0200, wrote:
    >

    >>Yeah, yeah, bla, bla, 'real programmers don't use the mouse',
    >>that is what you are trying to tell (teach) me, isn't it ?

    > No. You trimmed the real point that you
    > have been missing all along (grasshopper)..
    > "Rather than D'n'D you should think 'refactor', as
    > reused code seems to beg the question as to whether
    > the code should be in a utility class."

    Actually, the DnD that he is referring to would be a move (Ctrl-X,
    Ctrl-V) rather than a copy (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V). So a refactoring argument
    is out of place here ;-)

    Rogan
    --
    Rogan Dawes

    *ALL* messages to will be dropped, and added
    to my blacklist. Please respond to "nntp AT dawes DOT za DOT net"

    Rogan Dawes, Jul 26, 2004
  19. On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 17:45:23 +0200, Rogan Dawes wrote:

    > So a refactoring argument
    > is out of place here ;-)

    Huh.. Good point! But, (shrugs)
    *never* let the truth get in the
    way of a good story. ;)

    Andrew Thompson, Jul 26, 2004
  20. Liz Guest

    "Rogan Dawes" <> wrote in message
    > Andrew Thompson wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:50:23 +0200, wrote:
    > >

    > >>Yeah, yeah, bla, bla, 'real programmers don't use the mouse',
    > >>that is what you are trying to tell (teach) me, isn't it ?

    > > No. You trimmed the real point that you
    > > have been missing all along (grasshopper)..
    > > "Rather than D'n'D you should think 'refactor', as
    > > reused code seems to beg the question as to whether
    > > the code should be in a utility class."

    > Actually, the DnD that he is referring to would be a move (Ctrl-X,
    > Ctrl-V) rather than a copy (Ctrl-C, Ctrl-V). So a refactoring argument
    > is out of place here ;-)
    >
    > Rogan
    > --
    > Rogan Dawesdawes DOT za DOT net"

    When eclipse does a 'sort methods alphabetically' how does it
    decide which comments to move with each of the methods?

    Liz, Jul 26, 2004