Eclipse editor - slowwwwwwww?

Discussion in 'Java' started by farseer, Jul 25, 2005.

  1. farseer

    farseer Guest

    Hi,
    does any one know if the version 3.0 (build: ) of Eclipse has a memory
    leak? On large projects, the editor is slow to begin with, but when it
    starts, i see that the jvm hogs about 60MB. after about 1 hour, that
    reaches near 100MB. at that point, the editor just pretty much comes
    to halt. even highlighting text will cause a very long pause (god
    knows what it is looking for).

    anyone else run into this? Also, any tips on optimizing eclipse? all
    i want is an editor with context sensitive look up and the ability to
    see my project tree/structure and class methods. i don't care for
    build and compile, i do that form the command line anyway.

    I have tried doing some optimization in the form of removing references
    to JARS i do not currently need for the classes i am working on, this
    helps some, but again, when it hits that 100MB mark, it's pretty much
    unuseable. At that point i need to kill it. restart, kill again, then
    restart (don't ask me why, but if i restart it the first time, it's
    still slow..i apparently have to restart it twice..is it keeping stuff
    cached somewhere?)
     
    farseer, Jul 25, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. farseer

    farseer Guest

    actually, the version i am using is 3.1
     
    farseer, Jul 25, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On 25 Jul 2005 07:56:23 -0700, farseer wrote:

    > does any one know if the version 3.0 (build: ) of Eclipse ..


    I don't know and I don't care.
    Why not take it to some folks that might..
    <http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/index.html>

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    physci.org 1point1c.org javasaver.com lensescapes.com athompson.info
    Known To Cause Insanity In Laboratory Mice
     
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 25, 2005
    #3
  4. farseer

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Tim Tyler, Jul 25, 2005
    #4
  5. farseer

    Chris Smith Guest

    Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    > I don't know and I don't care.
    > Why not take it to some folks that might..
    > <http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/index.html>


    Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, Andrew? Normally
    there's at least a point to these rude comments of yours. This time,
    you're responding to a perfectly normal post in a Java newsgroup, asking
    about a Java development tool. I certainly don't see a problem
    anywhere.

    --
    www.designacourse.com
    The Easiest Way To Train Anyone... Anywhere.

    Chris Smith - Lead Software Developer/Technical Trainer
    MindIQ Corporation
     
    Chris Smith, Jul 25, 2005
    #5
  6. On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 12:05:45 -0600, Chris Smith wrote:

    > Andrew Thompson <> wrote:
    >> I don't know and I don't care.
    >> Why not take it to some folks that might..
    >> <http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/index.html>

    >
    > Get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning, Andrew?


    I've about had my share of hearing about Eclipse (JBuilder,
    NetBeans, Vi, Emacs, IntelliJ..) for about this year,
    ...and perhaps next as well.

    And, ..a memory problem? That is hardly a problem best
    addressed here. Take it up with the *manufacturer*!

    It did not even come out of any of the (all too frequent)
    'I luv my IDE' threads that seems to develop every time some
    clueless noob asks 'What is the best IDE?' (people should be
    slapped for even asking that question, in that form).

    So ..checks question. Maybe the answer is ..
    "I got up on the wrong side of their *IDE* - this *year*."

    --
    Andrew Thompson
    physci.org 1point1c.org javasaver.com lensescapes.com athompson.info
    Now Interactive! Joystick Controls Fry's Left Ear.
     
    Andrew Thompson, Jul 25, 2005
    #6
  7. farseer

    farseer Guest

    if i could make it on there to ask the question, i would. you try to
    register, you get a "cannot find page" page. you try to have them email
    you your previous login pwd which you were sure you had right, it tells
    you it doesn't know you. you try to figure out what board could
    possibly be the one to answer your question..it's impossible, cause
    there are like 50 billion groups and all about the project itself...

    anyway, after a year of using eclipse, i'm giving up on it, i spend
    about twice the amount of time waiting for it to do what ever the hell
    it does ever other second....back to jbuilder for now (until the order
    for intellij is approved).
     
    farseer, Jul 26, 2005
    #7
  8. On 25 Jul 2005 07:56:23 -0700, "farseer" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >does any one know if the version 3.0 (build: ) of Eclipse has a memory
    >leak? On large projects, the editor is slow to begin with, but when it
    >starts, i see that the jvm hogs about 60MB. after about 1 hour, that
    >reaches near 100MB. at that point, the editor just pretty much comes
    >to halt. even highlighting text will cause a very long pause (god
    >knows what it is looking for).
    >
    >anyone else run into this? Also, any tips on optimizing eclipse? all
    >i want is an editor with context sensitive look up and the ability to
    >see my project tree/structure and class methods. i don't care for
    >build and compile, i do that form the command line anyway.
    >
    >I have tried doing some optimization in the form of removing references
    >to JARS i do not currently need for the classes i am working on, this
    >helps some, but again, when it hits that 100MB mark, it's pretty much
    >unuseable. At that point i need to kill it. restart, kill again, then
    >restart (don't ask me why, but if i restart it the first time, it's
    >still slow..i apparently have to restart it twice..is it keeping stuff
    >cached somewhere?)


    Eclipse is a real memory hog. My guess is that you're using a heap of
    128MB and most of it is used for real data (not garbage). This will
    cause the jvm to garbage collect almost constantly. Try starting
    Eclipse with the options -vmargs -Xmx256m.
     
    Ole Ildsgaard Hougaard, Jul 26, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Stylus Studio
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    779
    Stylus Studio
    Aug 3, 2004
  2. Hatem KNANI
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    689
    Morphon Technologies
    Aug 4, 2003
  3. Stylus Studio
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    526
    Stylus Studio
    Aug 3, 2004
  4. SyncRO Soft
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    529
    SyncRO Soft
    Jul 21, 2005
  5. SyncRO Soft
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    515
    SyncRO Soft
    Sep 21, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page