Eclipse local tomcat server classes not getting synchronized

zigzagdna

I am new to Eclipse. I am developing some web services.e.g., MyService, using Dynamic Web project. I setup a local tomcat inside Eclipse at port 8081.... I created Web Service and it seemed working. In addition to src and build folders, I do see webcontents folder and several folders under it including services/../MyService which are indication that my web service has been deployed under local tomcat.

I made some changes in java code. I do see class file date/time get updatedunder build/classes, but I do not see updates under webcontents/WEB-INF/services/MyService which has my classes, why? I do have hot update set to true in axis2.xxml file under MyService/.../webcontents/...

When I run my web service in Eclipse it does show the changes I have made in java code, so somehow they seem to be published to local tomcat; but I donot class date/time updated. I also added a new java class MyTest under Src. While it shows under build.. It does not show under contents?

1. How can I set automatic refresh of folders under webcontents ...
2. Why when I run my web services under Eclipse it runs just fine and showsthe changes I made.
Thanks a lot.

Lew

I am new to Eclipse. I am developing some web services.e.g., MyService, using Dynamic Web project. I setup a local tomcat [sic] inside Eclipse at port 8081... I created Web Service and it seemed working. In addition to src and build folders, I do see webcontents folder and several folders under itincluding services/../MyService which are indication that my web service has been deployed under local tomcat.

I made some changes in java [sic] code. I do see class file date/time getupdated under build/classes, but I do not see updates under webcontents/WEB-INF/services/MyService which has my classes, why? I do have hot update set to true in axis2.xxml file under MyService/.../webcontents/...

When I run my web service in Eclipse it does show the changes I have madein java code, so somehow they seem to be published to local tomcat; but I do not class date/time updated. I also added a new java class MyTest under Src. While it shows under build.. It does not show under contents?

1. How can I set automatic refresh of folders under webcontents ...

Tomcat admin console.
2. Why when I run my web services under Eclipse it runs just fine and shows the changes I made.

Eclipse handles its own builds. If you have a build.xml for your project, which you should (or the
equivalent Maven or Gradle configuration), then you can build from the command line and from
Eclipse, plus Eclipse can be configured to drive its build from the build.xml.

The normal way (i.e., not through Eclipse) to install an application in Tomcat is via the WAR file that
your project builds. Use the Tomcat managment console to deploy the WAR andTomcat does the rest.

You should not deploy raw classes to Tomcat (or other Java EE container). Too many things get omitted
that way. Deploy via WAR.

zigzagdna

Lew:
Thanks.

This is some local tomcat which eclipse creates inside its work space. WhenI make a war using export of project in Eclipise, it is making war from the web contents folder, so war does not help. I have to manually copy classes from build to web contents folder, Then I can make a war and deploy itto tomcat outside Eclipse workspace but not inside eclipse workspace.
Right now I am doing everything inside EClipse Workspace.

Arved Sandstrom

[...]

I often dispense with Eclipse (or other IDEs for that matter) for
deployments, IOW direct interaction with the server. Whatever the server
may be. Very few of the guys that I hand the apps off to are
programmers, nor will they use IDEs to deploy. It helps me explain to
them how they need to do things if I deploy the same way they have to.
The admin consoles for modern servers are finally well-designed enough
that you can do stuff quite quickly.

I'm with Lew too that you shouldn't normally use IDE internal build
mechanisms. Use Ant or Maven etc. IDEs are for developers, and few other
people understand them. And people other than developers do have to run
builds.

AHS

Arne Vajhøj

[...]

I would go a step further and say that the entire concept of integrating
servers into IDE is wrong.

Arne

EricF

On Thursday, August 22, 2013 5:15:33 AM UTC-7, (e-mail address removed) wrote:
[...]

I think IDE server integration is fine for rapid development and
debugging with an exploded WAR, Just make sure you test it without the IDE
before saying you are done.

Eric

Arved Sandstrom

On 08/22/2013 04:46 PM, Lew wrote:
[...]

I honestly don't think "rapid" development (however that is measured) is
impeded by separating the coding from building and deployment. I'm
increasingly disposed to believe that too much 'I' in IDE actually
wastes time. If there is just enough friction in a
code-build-deploy-test cycle, it makes everyone (maybe one single person
in early development) think about what they are doing. I think most of
us have been guilty of being seduced by IDEs and getting into a very
rapid "code with little thought"-build-deploy-"see what breaks"
cycle...which is harmful.

AHS