    Can somone please crystallize them for me?

    Thanks for your help
    , Feb 22, 2006

  2. Rhino Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Sorry to post here. I couldn't find a suitable newsgroup. Besides I
    > don't have access to eclipse.org at this time.
    >
    > Can someone please tell me why eclipse is deleting the source files in
    > the repository (the ultimate physical location) upon building? Someone
    > suggested the following:
    > -uncheck the build-automatically option
    > -disconnect project from repository before each build
    > -update .project and .classpath files
    >
    > Unfortunately I am not savvy enough to grasp these esoteric concepts.
    > Can somone please crystallize them for me?

    I don't use any code repository tools myself but I'd be very surprised if
    the Eclipse was somehow deleting source code from your repository upon doing
    a build. I can't imagine why it would do so. Isn't the whole idea of a
    repository to *save* each version of the source code? What repository are
    you using? CVS? SVN?

    Also, I'm not clear why you can't access the newsgroups on the eclipse.org
    news server; I think they are clearly the best place to ask this kind of
    question. All you need to know is the "secret" password for the news
    server - which hasn't changed in the four years that I've been using
    Eclipse - and you should be able to post there. The newsgroups there are
    very active and focused entirely on Eclipse issues.

    As for the automatic build option, I believe that Eclipse's default
    behaviour is to rebuild every project in Eclipse every time you save
    something; that's not as big a deal as it first sounds because of the
    incremental compiles that it does. You can disable this automatic build by
    going to the Project menu on the main toolbar and unchecking "Build
    automatically" if it is currently checked. That will activate some other
    options that are normally greyed out, including Build All and Build Project.
    That enables you to build when _you_ want to, not when Eclipse wants to.

    --
    Rhino
    Rhino, Feb 22, 2006

  3. Chris Smith Guest

    <> wrote:
    > Sorry to post here. I couldn't find a suitable newsgroup. Besides I
    > don't have access to eclipse.org at this time.
    >
    > Can someone please tell me why eclipse is deleting the source files in
    > the repository (the ultimate physical location) upon building?

    If Eclipse is deleting something occasionally when building, chances are
    you've configured that location as its output directory. In that case,
    you've seriously hosed your project configuration. Do NOT follow the
    instructions you got elsewhere. Leaving Eclipse poised to delete your
    source code if you forget a step is about the worst idea I've ever seen.

    Instead, right-click the project, choose "Properties", and then in the
    "Java Build Path" section, move the output directory to the right place.
    Typically, by the way, your source code repository should not even be in
    your project folder at all!

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation